SW2008 Opening Random Files In Background

Howdy, we are on SW2004 but running a 30 day trial of 2008 SP3.1 and about to buy it. Everything seems to work well except for one problem I have when running an assembly with many sub-assemblies and parts. I tried to search but only found one post about ctl-tab which didnt' answer this question. Here is what I do:

  1. open up assembly
  2. open up a part within an assembly
  4. save
  5. try to go back to the part with ctl-tab or window menu
  6. what appears is not the part i had already opened, but another part in my assy, or a sub-assy, which I haven't opened in this session of SW. Sometimes it will open up 3 or 4 of these parts, always seems to be the same ones, and I'm wasting half of my day closing them all the time.

Any help with this would be radical.

~pope

Reply to
pope

I see something like this in 2007 with multibody models that include external parts.

Greyhound

Reply to
greyhound

I think what you are seeing is due to your settings. Under Tools, options, external references you will find a drop down arrow with some choices. If you do not wish for this to happen you can set the "Load referenced documents" to none. With it set this way solidworks will not open documents that have references in the offending assemblies. Try that and see if that doesn't help.

Reply to
jlbeen

We have this problem with changing window through the menu. Ctrl-Tab works OK here (Keep Ctrl pressed to select the correct window). It seems that SW08 Sp4 will fix the window selection through the menu.

Willem

Reply to
Willem1

Thanks for all of the answers fellas.

Greyhound: Ah, yes I am using a multi-body in my assembly. A part was split into multi-bodies and those bodies were then used to make part files. However I then broke all references and it still was happening.

JLBeen: Thanks for this tip, setting "Load Referenced Documents" to 'none' seemed to do the trick. Thanks, just the answer I was looking for.

Willem: Ctrl-Tab did work for me when I held down Ctrl. However with JLBeens fix above, I can now do CTRL-TAB or use the "window" menu command.

Thanks, very radical.

~pope

Reply to
pope

If you have a lot of parts or assemblies open 2008 will eventually get confused and pull up the wrong parts. (Earlier versions also had this problem, but it takes less open parts in 2008.) When it does, you can use the Ctrl-Tab to get the one you want. The folks at SW are working on it. I don't remember if they have promised a fix yet or not.

Jerry Steiger

Reply to
Jerry Steiger