linking part to drawing file

If I have a part in a drawing that has many sheets with many differant parts and sheet 1 is the assembly view, is it possible to get the part file to link to that drawing file even though it has so many differant parts in it.

Drawing: sheet 1 = assembly

Reply to
marty

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't that only work for drawings that are already in memory. I would say that if the drawing is already in memory the RMB thing should open the first drawing it finds that references that part.

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

only 2 requirements needed, files must have same exact names & reside in the same folder

Reply to
kenneth b

Kenneth, This is very true. Being able to RMB open the drawing from the model (although insignificant) is one of many, many advantages to mono-detailing. I just received a package of models & drawings from someone that we outsourced a job to and he detailed many components per sheet (single sheet drawings thank goodness). This was a major nightmare, but since we didn't specify mono-detailed drawing files, we had to eat it.

Reply to
Seth Renigar

I posted a macro on Dec 20 2003 that will do this. In each part file that you want linked to the drawing, go to the configuration manager and open the Properties dialog for the active configuration. Change the pull down menu at the bottom of the dialog to "User Specified Name" and type in the name of your drawing document. Now running the macro (I have it assigned to a toolbutton) will open the drawing document. I can email you the complete macro if you want, or just search for it on Google.

Eric

Reply to
Eric Zuercher

what is mono detailing??

mono-detailing.

Reply to
Marty

Awesome !!!

Thanks so much !!!! Nice little trick Eric!!!

-Marty

Reply to
Marty

Mono Detailing - Drawing one part per drawing file. This can also be one assembly, but not any of the parts to that assembly. In other words, if a drawing is of an assembly, every sheet should be details of the assembly only. Some people will put the assembly on the first sheet (or 2) of a drawing file, and detail the parts of that assembly on following sheets within the same drawing. This makes document control very difficult. It also makes the drawing files very large and makes you to have to open every part just to get the drawing of one part. In my opinion, the parts should be detailed in their own drawing file. It does make for more files to deal with. But it is easier to understand.

By the way, I don't know if mono-detailing is an actual technical term or not. But I have heard others using it. I liked it so I started using it as well.

Reply to
Seth Renigar

Thanks Seth, I have been trying to come up with a good way to deal with document control and this makes sence.

message

Reply to
marty

Yes, IMHO this is the only way to document something effectively in a real production environment. It gives you the most flexibility and future-proofness.

If you put place part details in the same drawing as an assembly, what happens if that part is used somewhere else in another assembly? Do you have multiple drawings of the same part? That would be a nightmare to manage.

Anyway, some will disagree with the Mono-Detailing philosophy (nice term, Seth). And what they use probably works well for them. That's OK, this is just my opinion.

Reply to
Arlin