AUTOMATIC PART DESCRIPTION TRANSFER TO DRAWING FILE NAME

How can I get the description that I type when I file a part solid model (this also appears in the part custom properties table under Description) to appear in the drawing model description field (right under the part number field) when I file the drawing model for the first time?

This value is already available; it is currently used to automatically fill in the title block, so I know it can be transferred from solid to drawing.

Part numbers automatically transfer from the part solid model to the drawing model when I create the part drawing, so I know that information from the part solid model can be used to fill in the box when saving a drawing away.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark

Reply to
MrSlabaugh

How can I get the description that I type when I file a part solid model (this also appears in the part custom properties table under Description) to appear in the drawing model description field (right under the part number field) when I file the drawing model for the first time?

This value is already available; it is currently used to automatically fill in the title block, so I know it can be transferred from solid to drawing.

Part numbers automatically transfer from the part solid model to the drawing model when I create the part drawing, so I know that information from the part solid model can be used to fill in the box when saving a drawing away.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark

Reply to
MrSlabaugh

I suspect it would require a macro to do this - you'd have to make a "create drawing" macro that reads the custom property from the part file, creates a drawing and copies the value of the part description to the drawing file custom property.

I understand your point that SWX does this automatically for the file name, but I suppose they've assumed that this is "standard practice" to have matching part & drawing file names. Maybe they feel there are too many possibilities with custom properties to hard-code this in.

Regards, John H

Reply to
John H

Do you mean you want the Description custom property of the part in the drawing to automatically be listed as the Description custom property in a drawing?

Don't know that it's possible, but I have to wonder why you need this? As you indicated text can be placed in the drawing with the description of a part in the drawing.

As a previous poster indicated, it would almost be trivial with a macro if this is what you really want to do (I don't another way). Let me know and I'll create a sample for you.

Reply to
Chris Dubea