Whats better, filling in Custom Properties in Model or Drawing?

To prevent double entry, where should custom properties be entered, model or drawing?

The custom properties that I use are: Part Number (which is the filename) Title (description of part) Date Engineer Designer Revision Material

ALSO, is there a way to automatically input the date in the format mm/dd/yy? $PRP:"SW-Created Date" will show a date of "Monday, January

23, 2004 1:11:47 PM"

and

$PRP:"SW-Short Date" will show a date of mm/dd/yy BUT this date changes each time the drawing is open. WTF???

If anyone can give suggestions, please post them

If you have a template I can look at, that would be great! :)

Thanks in advance...

Reply to
SW Monkey

We have all but one of our custom properties stored in the model. We then have the drawings read them in. The custom property that we store in the drawing is the stamp which gets populated with Preliminary and Pending Authorization.

Reply to
SWuser

put 'em in the model.

one nice advantage is that if you lost the drawing and deleted the SLDDRW, you still have all the material, heattreat, finish, etc information.

Last i checked, a static "created on" date is not possible in SW. Been a while (01+) since I asked my VAR tho.

--nick e.

Reply to
Nick E.

One reason for putting the Config/Custom Data in the model, is so a Drawing and BOM can both pick up the same info. Keep in mind also, that if you ever want to run a PDM package, most seem to use Config Properties, not Custom Properties.

Regards Tony O'Hara

Reply to
Tony

Tony has provided some good advice. However, configuration properties should be used regardless.

Case in point:

1 File - 2 configurations (blue/red)parts with unique part numbers and descriptions (these items have to be ordered as separate lines on a purchase or work order).

Drop these two configurations into an assembly. Generate a BOM - out of the box SW (Excel BOM) will show qty 2: of the same filename even though two separate configurations exist.

Add configuration properties called Item_Number & Item_Description. Modify the excel BOM to hide filename (hide not delete) and add cell column values Item_Description & Item_Number. Save BOM template (General procedure - I'm going from memory here).

Repeat procedure to drop two configs into new assembly.

Modified BOM will generate two line items (configurations) - each with its own number, description, and qty.

The only custom properties that should be used for configurations are those that do not change - such as material for a family of parts. Create a duplicate file with new numbers if the material changes.

Len

Reply to
Len K. Mar