how to get the selected material for a part to appear in a drawing title box

Hi all,

ok, so in SW2004 we can now apply a material to a part, and this can be used for Cosmos express, and photoworks apparently as well. However, when I create a drawing and use the templates from SW, in the material box of the title block there is a little 'holder' to which you can apply a property from the part itself. I hope those of you who use drawings a lot know what I'm on about....

However, it appears as though this material 'holder' doesn't relate back to the selected material for the part, but still points to the custom properties description for material - or am I getting something wrong? Whatever the case, it doesn't appear to update with my selection from the part tree.

If you can have the material as selected from the part list applied to a drawing title box automatically, can someone let me know how to do it?

many thanks,

Lee

Reply to
Lee Bazalgette

Lee,

You are right it. It does link to a custom property. But this can be painless. Time to update your part template a little.

First open a new part document. Go to your custom properties and type in a custom property name of "material". Then, on the right hand side about halfway down, select "Material" under the 'Linked to value'. Click OK. Save as your part template.

Now every new part that you apply a material to will automatically update this custom property. Therefore, your drawing title block will reflect the correct material.

Hope this helps, Seth Renigar

Reply to
Seth Renigar