spline/surface poll resaults

Thanks to those who participated in my basic poll a few days ago- (special thanks to Ed,John,matt for the nail biting torment they endured in the a/b selection process) Unfortunately I think many people who don't use these features didn't record so its actually hard to tell what the overall percentage might be - however it would seem that there are a surprising number of people who actively use these tools in their work and not the small minority I imagined. Guestimating from the names of the regulars I recognise it could be 1/3 of all users? this would be say 80000 users worldwide...a significant number worth listening to. Also of note is the 75% frustration rating- seems to me SW needs to do some serious thinking about better tools to meet the needs of its customers trying to do serious stuff like turbine blades and industrial design Please hassle your VAR and send enhancement requests in so SW get the message. It probably wont happen unless people actively ask for it. I hope SW scouts have read the response here and taken note. Thanks again neil

Reply to
neil

I'm quite sure you're right. A lot of folks who don't use splines and surfaces probably just ignored the whole thread. Many of those who read it probably didn't respond, since they really don't care what happens to splines and surfaces.

I would guess this is too high. I would think that the regulars on the group tend to be the power users and the folks who are pushing the software more. The guys driving SW in their sleep don't waste time here.

I agree whole-heartedly here!

Thank you!

Jerry Steiger Tripod Data Systems

Reply to
Jerry Steiger

'The guys driving SW in their sleep don't waste time here.'

its long been a puzzle to me why ,with many thousands of users ,there are really so few who mingle here and take an active interest in SW issues. personally I find this NG a terrific place to learn and share and sometimes get a laugh...I suppose not everyone is community minded. maybe you are right, there are a lot of CAD techs who are just keeping dust off chairs... I wouldn't want to employ them...

the poll had a slightly disappointing response but it is clear people who have a handle on the present capabilities want more and I still think we should pursue it with SW as a group....

Reply to
neil

Personally I would say that all my friends call me a "Solid Witness". I like and can appreciate the other programs out there. But I definately would say that I am a SW CAD junkie. And I know that in some respects I push the limits of what the program can do. It is actually kinda fun in finding the work around to make it work the way I want, rather than hae the program tell em what to do.

Reply to
Arthur Y-S

I think there are a number of factors at play here. A lot of people simply aren't aware of it. Others have no access other than through Google. Still others only lurk here, content to learn from those who do post.

I don't know if more participation would be good or not. I only have time to read so much traffic. Even now, I have to gloss over threads I find interesting.

WRT the response to the poll, I think you got a response from most of the regular, serious posters here.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

For a lot of people, I think it is time pressures.

Me, too!

I was wrong to make a cheap shot like that. There are four other SW users where I work (two using it a lot and two mostly dabbling). They're all dedicated, hard working engineers. I'm the only one who follows the news group.

I, for one, should spend more time talking to my VAR and less time bitching and moaning here!

Jerry Steiger Tripod Data Systems

Reply to
Jerry Steiger

I think I am the only one here that follows, and I think it's because of my nature. I want to learn and also am dedicated to helping others. I am willing to take/make the time to keep up on it. That doesn't mean I have to digest every post, because some of it doesn't apply to us, but I think it's good to have at least one person in an organization keep up on the traffic.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany