Anybody get paid to write API code

I would like to know if anyone gets paid for writing macros, or API code - maybe on a contract type of basis rather than as part of their job.

Anyone have any thoughts about whether there is a market for this sort of thing, or if they had considered paying for this sort of work.

Sorry to offend anyone if this sounds like I'm looking for work. I'm just trying to see if there might be a market for this sort of thing.

Thanks, Tony.

Reply to
Tony

In know two people who code for SW users as part of their businesses. Not much money in it. No one wants to pay enough for the things they want. The people with the best ideas or greatest needs are not purchase-empowered.

Reply to
That70sTick

Many times VARs will offer this sort of service and do it in connection with their accounts. There have been people on this group in the past who got really good at it and got hired away. Probably the best way to get paid for writing macros is to do it at work and solve problems there. There are actually several on this NG who do it, but not, I think as a full time source of their income.

Reply to
TOP

Thanks for your comments.

I live in New Zealand and work full-time as a design engineer - some of my work is writing VBA macros for SolidWorks. I was considering extra part-time work and interested in teaching myself more programming and branching out to full VB or C++, and wondering if there was a need out there.

Talking to my VAR (and local users group) might be a really good idea. There's only 1 VAR in NZ, and I once asked them for if they had anyone there that could help me with an API problem and got what I thought was a really funny answer: "we support all the products we sell... unfortunately we don't have anyone who can answer API questions at the moment". They did give me the e-mail address of api support at SW, who were really helpful.

Reply to
Tony

Which explains why they haven't responeded, I asked them to quote to write a macro for me, 3 weeks ago.

Perhaps you could get a job working for them?

John Layne

John Layne

Forgot to add, the local user group seems to be dead, I think they had around 3 meetings (I was to busy at the time to attend any) there haven't been any for few years.

John Layne

"John Layne" a macro for me, 3 weeks ago.

Reply to
John Layne

sounds like Tony may have found his first customer....

"John Layne" a macro for me, 3 weeks ago.

Reply to
Michael

Hi John

Maybe you would like to send me a brief about what you're after. I might do it for free if I liked the look of the project, or maybe you are trying to do something that I already have some code for, which I could share with you

Regards, Tony.