Why no NURBS in SW

This has probably been discussed a trillion, billion times, but I ask....why no implementations of NURBS into the SW program? It is not like it is
something new. And I am sure that it can be done. Does SW not look at it as a useful tool? or am I just asking for the impossible to be done. As an Industrial design tool, SW works well for me. That new deform feature is a far cry from being something useful, just my opinion.
I have tried shapeworks, which was not that bad. Place as many points on any surface and then push and pull them, but should this a third party tool or something SW has from the get go?
"This has probably been discussed a trillion, billion times, but I ask....why no implementations of NURBS into the SW program?"
Because the initial concept of Solidworks was to be a solid only modeler. This has now been proven to be the wrong way to go. It is something I have said was the wrong way to go for many, many years in this newsgroup.
It takes time to change from the wrong concept to the right one. Allowing disjoint solids was the first step to becoming a seamless, unified, hybrid modeler. There is still a long, long way to go for SolidWorks.
"It is not like it is something new."
It is for SolidWorks.
"That new deform feature is a far cry from being something useful, just my opinion."
ROTFLMFAO. The brain trust at Spatial sure can't do what this man can:
http://www.think3.com/company/management05.htm
"but should this a third party tool or something SW has from the get go?"
Extreme sarcasm mode on:
Na, just keep shelling out the cash for all the basic functionality stuff SolidWorks should have but doesn't and just keep bopping back and forth between a ton of separate applications. That's the way to go !!!
jon

ask....why
as
any
I would not say that solid modeliing is the wrong way to go. Pure surfacing is not the answer either, so get off that horse quick. Programs like Pro/E, SW, and the likes are seeing that surfacing IS needed. Rhino, Alias, and Maya are all great programs, but there are certain things that they lack as well.
Jon, this is not about what program I want to use, this is just a question about getting something into the program that I am using.
I dont need to know any more about your think3 sales pitch, I have seen it, tried it, and it is not for me. The experience that I had with the company left such a bad taste in my mouth that I would rather go back to drafting than use it. They offered me a trial version of the program for 3 months and after the 3 months they wanted to charge me for it, even though I told them that I did not want to use it. The next month I see a charge on the credit card from them. Will not get into specifics but damm short of flying to CA to beat their azz, is alomost what it took to get them to give me the $$$ back.
Done.
"I would not say that solid modeliing is the wrong way to go. Pure surfacing is not the answer either, so get off that horse quick"
How can I get off that horse when I have never been on it in the first place ??? My posts over many, many years to this newsgroup, as well as to alt.machines.cnc, make this perfectly clear. That you don't read them or understand them is not something I can control.
"Jon, this is not about what program I want to use, this is just a question about getting something into the program that I am using."
IMO, it's about you having to use Rhino for basic surface functionality instead of you being able to get the job done with SolidWorks as you should be able to.
jon

surfacing
Pro/E,
as
it,
and
them
Personally, I can get 99% of what I need done in SW surfacing. And the horse that I am talking about is that you are said solid modeling is not the way to go. And that is a wrong conclusion to come to.
So in your world, do you only drink coke? Wait no you only drink Pepsi....because you are a one program kinda guy. I, OTH, understand that there will never be, and probably shouldnt be a one stop shop program. Competition helps to make everything better, otherwise companies would rest on their laurels.
"Personally, I can get 99% of what I need done in SW surfacing."
I enjoy reading your posts in the Rhino newsgroup. ;>)
"And the horse that I am talking about is that you are said solid modeling is not the way to go."
If I said anything I said solids should not be your only tool. I subscribe to the Edward Eaton philosophy that basically says solids are just surfaces with macros.
IMO those macros will not be smart enough to eliminate the use of traditional surfacing anytime in the foreseeable future.
"And that is a wrong conclusion to come to."
Absolutely the wrong conclusion.
"I, OTH, understand that there will never be, and probably shouldnt be a one stop shop program."
Yes but there is a major difference between what you wrote above and not having the basic seamless, unified, hybrid tools that should come with a base CAD/CAM package and NOT be extra. An extra add-in to edit imported NURBS is as ridiculous as an extra add-in to handle complex filleting.
"Competition helps to make everything better, otherwise companies would rest on their laurels."
Applying what you wrote above to SolidWorks Corp, who now only see Autodesk as their competition, perhaps we should hold a daily prayer session in this newsgroup and pray for Autodesk to implement what they are saying they are going to do with ShapeManager.
jon

horse
rest

Your massive reading comprehension problems are showing again. As is your total ignorance of the subject.
--
Cliff Huprich

STILL banned with all your clueless posts killed (the ultimate insult <G>)?
--
Cliff Huprich

So because I use another program that proves what? notice that i said 99%....which if you do the math means that there is a 1% open to do something outside of SW. WOW did you see that...logic that makes sense. OMG...I think I am going to sheit my pants because hopefully I am starting to get through that warpped brain of yours...Jon.
So by your logic...a hack and wack programs that tried to do too much of everything and falls short of anything?
Now as a solid modeler, SW is and has been head and hands above the rest. Now rather than resting on just that, they decided to implement some new functionality into the progra... Surfacing. Heaven forbid they try to implement something new. In your world they should only do one thing and be happy with that . They should never make any chnages. So I ask you this, Jon, why not try to something new? What is wrong with the company adding in something that their customers have asked for? Did they get 100% of it right? maybe not. Have they made progress towards making the features better, most definately.
Why dont you show me a program that offers as much as SW for the same price point that is a better so called "hybrid" modeler. Remember that they have to offer EVERYTHING that SW does, and has gives me exactly what you say SW does wrong. (and if you say think3, I will kick you in the azz all the way from over here in NY)
When did SW say that their only competition is Autodesk? If that was said, more than likely it was by some marketer trying to hype the program. I challenge you to find the top 3 companies. Find out who is selling the most seats world wide. See who comes out on top. Here let me help you out.... Pro/E, IV, SE, SW, Rhino, and Alias. If I missed one, you let me know.
Or dollars worth of CAD or CAD/CAM or CAM software ...
Demos do not count <BSEG>.
--
Cliff

"So because I use another program that proves what? notice that i said 99%....which if you do the math means that there is a 1% open to do something outside of SW. WOW did you see that...logic"
What I see is someone (you) who has numerous problems with SolidWorks and out of frustration keeps posting about those problems in this newsgroup. What I see is you having to depend more and more on something like Rhino to get the job done.
"So by your logic...a hack and wack programs that tried to do too much of everything and falls short of anything?
Hack and whack means that surface and solid tools are not properly integrated and that the approach to modeling is often awkward to use and frequently requires bizarre and non- intuitive methods to get the job done.
A seamless, unified, hybrid modeler is just the opposite.
"Now as a solid modeler, SW is and has been head and hands above the rest. Now rather than resting on just that, they decided to implement some new functionality into the progra... Surfacing"
Creating a solid only modeler has now proven to be absolutely the wrong way to approach to take.
UG .... seamless, unified, hybrid. CATIA .... seamless, unified, hybrid. VX's Vision... seamless, unified, hybrid.
"Heaven forbid they try to implement something new. In your world they should only do one thing and be happy with that . They should never make any chnages."
Proof ???
Care to quote me where I have said anything to backup what you state above ????
LOL
"Why dont you show me a program that offers as much as SW for the same price point that is a better so called "hybrid" modeler. Remember that they have to offer EVERYTHING that SW does, and has gives me exactly what you say SW does wrong. (and if you say think3, I will kick you in the azz all the way from over here in NY)"
I have many times.
You can lead a horse to water but you can't force him to drink. :>)
At this point my sincerest hope it that you stay with SolidWorks and keep getting more and more frustrated. I like to see posts from SolidWorks users who have had enough. IMO, very helpful in getting the needed changes. The more the better.
"When did SW say that their only competition is Autodesk?"
Try using Google and reading the pasts posts to this newsgroup or reading something like UpFronteZine
Hope this helped,
jon

be
in
price
most
Jon, I posted once in another group....read...ONE TIME.... I had a question. OMG heaven forbid I post a question.
Nothing is perfect. You act like there is some program that is perfect and has no problems what so ever. If there is one you show me. UG and CATIA are NOT IN THE SAME PRICE RANGE as SW.
Proof???? Everytime you post is proof of that you are trying to poke a hole in SW. What I and everyone else dont understand is that if you dont like the program DONT POST HERE. Stop trying to get others to feel like you. The reason why ppl post here is so that we can discuss problems and figure out a possible solution. I would say that 85% of the time there is an answer. Is it always convient, not always. Does it work...yes.

Is it necessary to try and "poke a hole" in something that already leaks like a sieve ?
Isn't the idea to fix the holes ?
BTW, how about giving thinkdesign / thinkshape a try ? I think you might like it. ;>)
jon

question.
are
hole
the

What's YOUR excuse? You don't even use ANY 3D CAD, CAD/CAM or CAM system.
--
Cliff Huprich

YOU have NEVER used any of those either. The endless BS marches on.
--
Cliff Huprich

Cliff Huprich wrote:

Cliff, Not to rain on your unemployed parade Cliff but we established that you have also never bought any CAM software in alt.machines.cnc. You were an aerospace worker who rode the US Governments gravy train for a long time before you became unemployed. If you are gonna dish BS out about other people, be prepared to hear the truth back about yourself. What part of what I just said NOT true? You whine is so damned old by now Cliff. PLEASE, get some new material. Michael
--

Michael Gailey
Artistic CNC Mill, Router and Engraver Programming

No, you did not <BSEG>.

Nope. Guess again.

Poor jb is full of the BS. I just call him on it. As have so very, very many others. But you have had your own (sizable) share IIRC.

Oh? LOL ....

Take some guesses. You like to do that anyway IIRC <g>.

As soon as jb provides it.
Why don't you help him with his (claimed) BobCad DOS 2D circle problems?
--
Cliff Huprich

Cliff Huprich wrote:

Since becoming unemployed/unemployable some years ago, your ONLY purpose in life is to antagonize people that you feel comfortable picking on. Typical TROLL behavior. FWIW folks, Cliff is a current Win95 power user. Michael

--

Michael Gailey
Artistic CNC Mill, Router and Engraver Programming
writes:

And AOL <G>. For over a decade ...... Works fine for Email & Usenet ..... nice little old stand-alone (Used to be DOS 3.1 or something <G>) ... better than all the expensive software Michael has to buy & keep updated .... he's quite confused about viruses, worms & SPAM it seems <chuckle>
--
Cliff

Cliff Huprich wrote:

ROTFLMAO