SW and dual monitors

Anybody using dual monitors with SW? If so how do you have it set up? Do you recommend using dual monitors? Are there any negatives to using dual monitors with SW? Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam

Reply to
Sam

Hi Sam !

We are using two monitors with SWX. There are no problems with a Nvidia FX 500 and

19" TFT repective 22" TFT. Just have a look at the swx homepage for details. You can find tests on serveral grafic adaptors with dual screen setup.

The advantage: Main screen --> SWX second screen --> SAP with BOM --> Outlook --> Customer drawing --> second SWX session --> some people use the second screen for the menu bar´s so they have plenty of space for the drawing itself.

We (7 designer) won´t miss our second screen. It´s worth a lot even if you just work with Office or SAP.

Best regards Ralf (Germany)

Sam schrieb:

Reply to
Die Hartmanns

I have dual monitors running, and I have found that with SW2005 you have to be very careful about moving windows around. For example, if I open up SW2005 and a part on Monitor 1, then move it to Monitor 2, I can't open up a new part without having SW2005 hang. I have not tried it yet with SW2006. My problem may be due to the fact that my computer is not using a recommended graphics card.

The biggest disadvantage is going home and using a single monitor, and trying to convince the wife that we need to get a dual monitor setup.

Reply to
YouGoFirst

@YouGoFirst

Sorry, seems to be a hardware problem. We are using dual monitors since years with ME10, SWX, Office, SAP etc. No Problems.

But I feel with you. The mentioned disadvantage is absolutely true :-)

Ralf

YouGoFirst schrieb:

Reply to
Die Hartmanns

To clarify things further, this is only a problem in SW, not in any other program.

Reply to
YouGoFirst

I too use a fx500 with two screens

AARGHH !!

This can now be done - I really must read the manual - was it in the whats new in 2006? Or is this another one on SW enhancements they tell know one about ! :-)

Before, I am sure you could not do this easily as when you started a new session of SW the menus had changed position !!

I've just tried it and they stay where they are put even on a restart.

Thanks Ralf

TTFN

Jonathan

Reply to
jjs

I use a 17" LCD screen and 19" CRT screen with a GeForce-something (can't remember) and I have essentially NO problems -- not with SolidWorks and not with anything else. The advantages are significant, in my opinion, but I tend to multitask a lot. I find that using one screen for SolidWorks and one screen for my Desktop and most other applications is most practical for me. I seldom stretch SolidWorks across two screens, but I HAVE done it on occasion. When using multiple viewports for demonstration purposes it can be useful. I typically DON'T start two sessions of SolidWorks at the same time, and I keep my monitors at the same resolution, although that's not actually necessary, simply because it's disconcerting to go from one resolution to another. The max resolution on my LCD screen is 1280x1024, but I can go up to

1600x1200 on my CRT. It takes a little thrashing around with the nVidia TwinView dual-monitor application to be able to set things up the way you want, but once you've done it it's not a big deal to do it again. If I have to disconnect my computer to take it somewhere and I only have one monitor available where I'm going I simply connect the monitor to my primary video connector on the card. It somehow jiggles the Desktop around a bit, but that's the only problem that I've encountered with it. Once I get back to a dual monitor setup things go back to just the way I had them before disconnecting.

In other words, I recommend it.

Mark 'Sporky' Staplet>

Reply to
Sporkman

Hi Jonathan,

for your information: We use the driver version 6.7.2.2 dated 15.Nov.

2004.

Best regards Ralf

Reply to
Hartmann

I love the dual monitor setup for most programs but SW does little for me to make it worthwhile on its own. For instance, I'd love to be able to drag the feature manager over onto the second monitor to free up space on the primary but this doesn't seem possible. Maybe someone knows different?

Rich

Reply to
Rich

I also found a perfomance hit with a dual set up, I now have a 24" widescreen and a fx3450 which is nice.

steve

Reply to
solid steve

Hey Mark, good to hear from you, hope all is well.

Do you (or anyone else) know if the Task Pane can be moved to another monitor separate from the solidworks app? From reading these other posts it sounds like the toolbars can be moved and I know that the task pane can be undocked and moved about the screen (much like a toolbar) so I am assuming that it also can be moved to a second monitor but I do not have two monitors so I cannot test that. Can someone give it a try and let me know?

Thanks, Sam

Reply to
Sam

SAM

If you mean the pane on the right - ie the one with the Design Libray etc - then you can undock it and move it outside the SW window onto a second monitor - I've just done it

TTFN

Jonathan

Reply to
jjs

Thanks Jonathan, that is what I needed to know.

Sam

Reply to
Sam