STL files and SW

Yeah they look pretty, but the hell can i do with it other than have it sit there in the program. cant offset, knit, or extrude up to it. I mean what is the sense of having it if all i can do is look at it. Granted there are times when i do just need to look at the models. But it is not enough. I have tried adjusting the import settings. no lucky. ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Arthur Y-S

Try having an RP model made out of it.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Doyle

STL files are intended primarily for rapid prototype machines.

There are many other, MUCH better file formats to use than STL if you are loooking to design.

--Todd

Reply to
Todd

Yeah, STL is not very useful for CAD apps. They are mainly read by Rapid Prototype machines. An STL file is simply a faceted surface representation made up of LOTS of small triangle surfaces joined together. The size of these triangles depends on the exporting software and how smooth the desired output needs to be.

Because an STL file is just a bunch of triangles, it is difficult to do any sort of analytical stuff with them. I think there are some programs (Rhino maybe) that can read an STL file and convert the faceted surfaces into nurbs surfaces.

Reply to
Arlin

Bingo! STL is nothing more than a representation that allows RP software to "slice it up" for transmitting to the RP machines. There are programs out there that can section, repair, patch, and otherwise manipulate STL files but they are again primarily used to "tweek" models for RP use.

SolidWorks added the ability to open STL files because users wanted it. There a about a bizzilion free STL files out there and often times no way to see what you're getting. To expect SolidWorks to now provide tools to manipulte these files is asking a bit much.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Doyle

Everyone sounds like they are not aware of the solid STL import option. By default SW is set to open STLs in graphic "view" mode. However when you hit File --Open & select STL as the filetype -- then you can then hit the Options button & change the STL import to Solid body or Surface body versus the graphic body. & bingo! was his name O...

However this will not work if the STL is of a point cloud data -- only graphic option works.

just FYI

Steve

Reply to
Steve Tietz (renderman)

Did you know that ShapeWorks can view and work with STL files right inside SolidWorks?

Mike

Reply to
Baren-Boym Company

OK, my point about all of this is...yes STL are for RP machines. I have two Zcorps machine. Now every now and then we get a model that was done in something other than SW. There are certain tolreance issues when it comes to our RP machine. Now if I cant measure these files to see what kind of dimensions that I am looking at, what good does it do me to just "look at it"?

So this leavs you with the follwing work arounds...

1) Either 3rd party add-ons, another "file" data translator program to buy and load and use and figure out the proper settings to get from one program to the next with out losing too much in the process. 2) Get it as another format and translate it into the STL later.

Maybe I am just asking for too much. It would just be nice to have all of these software companies get off that high horse of "this my software" and i am not willing to share my data code. Not asking them to open up everything. Maybe someone truly needs to come up with a 100% neutral format (ie IGES) that can really take what you have in one program and bring it to another with out having it be "dumb" or some visual reference that I am just looking at.

And yeah Mike, I knew about your STL importer. I was actualy trying to get the department to purchase it, but no luck. I guess you were a bit peeeved when you saw that. I do stilll like the NURBS based surface add-in that you have. Questions it what will you do when SW adds it into their program natievly?

Reply to
Arthur Y-S

I had a consultant making an animation on one of our machines, and he wanted to have STL-files. Took them into Studio Max and made quite a nice animation out of it.

Krister L

Arlin skrev i diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet: snipped-for-privacy@News.CIS.DFN.DE...

Reply to
Krister L

Arthur,

I can imagine the problem is related to size because the STL, from what I remember, is unit less and the importing system chooses a unit? So, you can get a large or a small part depending on the units the user originally used.

As was mentioned, SW2003 and above have the ability to read in STL files as graphical, solid and surfaces with the option for units. So, you should be able to read/measure something in?

Otherwise, there are other tools, free and purchased, which have the ability of converting mesh formats likes LWO, 3DS, OBJ,.. into STL's.

..

Arthur Y-S wrote:

Reply to
Paul Salvador

I used a free model I got off a magazine CD to put together a E-drawing for a client - they wanted to be able to do cross sections through a car to show various points of interest. Imported the OBJ file in to Rhino and then took that as seperate elements in to parts in Solidworks (import STL as surface) - as long as it is rendered, it looks the business, but not much use for detailed work - the STL tesellation is obvious. I couldn't get a section in to a drawing - SW seems to do the section, saves the view, but when you go back to it, you have the full model - any ideas? Would it possibly be due to the fact that there are no solids in the model?

- try Jeep Cherokee.

I also rendered off a fly around animation of it in Rhino - fast and dirty, but gives the customer exactly what they want.

Reply to
Deri Jones

I couldn't get a

I've never gotten sections to work on surfaces. You could trim the surfaces to get the "section" that you want.

Jerry Steiger Tripod Data Systems

Reply to
Jerry Steiger