removable potting compound ?

Is there such a thing as a removable potting compound of the type used = in electronics?=20

I'm looking for something to secure wires and/or screw settings against = vibration and strain but that can be removed for resoldering & = adjusting. Maybe just plain silicone sealant is the best bet, but in the = past when I have tried using it in thickness greater than 1/8" or so it = either did not cure or took forever to do so! I want something I can = apply once and cure in 24-48 hours at the most. I want to be able to = remove it later without destroying the product it is used on ( most = likely a circuit board of some type; DC-DC converter with screw = terminals, etc. ... )

Thanks ! JCD

Reply to
Pogo

John Nagle

Have you tried rubber cement?

Best,

- Joe

Reply to
Joe Strout

I'm looking for something to secure wires and/or screw settings against vibration and strain but that can be removed for resoldering & adjusting. Maybe just plain silicone sealant is the best bet, but in the past when I have tried using it in thickness greater than 1/8" or so it either did not cure or took forever to do so! I want something I can apply once and cure in

24-48 hours at the most. I want to be able to remove it later without destroying the product it is used on ( most likely a circuit board of some type; DC-DC converter with screw terminals, etc. ... )

Thanks ! JCD

There is a two-part Room Temp. Vulcanizing Silicone putty than will cure in about a half hour. Nothing will stick to it so you will have to devise mechanical methods. My supplier has disappeared but I'd try McMaster Carr first.

Reply to
Wayne Lundberg

There's Fine-L-Kote, which is a conformal coat that's sprayed on, and there's Fine-L-Kote remover. But that's a conformal coat, not a potting compound. It's also a moderately hazardous material; you need ventilation, a respirator, and a fire extinguisher.

Search for "conformal coating", not "potting", and you'll find what you're looking for. "Potting" is where you fill a container with some hardening material. Read this:

What problem are you trying to solve? If it's loose screws on screw terminals, the answer is deformable phosphor-bronze lockwashers, which is what the military uses.

John Nagle

Reply to
John Nagle

You might try hot glue. It might come lose from slick surfaces, but it is fairly easy to remove when needed.

Reply to
Si Ballenger

No, but that's and idea I hadn't even considered. Might be more what I'm = looking for. Something that can be peeled off later sounds like the = ticket!

Thanks ! JCD

Reply to
Pogo

Excellent info on that page. But you almost need 3-D glasses to read it! = From that page I found the Loctite link,

I had = no idea they make so much more stuff than you see on the retail shelves!

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions on what to search for. That should be = a big help. JCD

Reply to
Pogo

Hot Glue?

Reply to
Andrew Schwartz

In the past at work I used Dow Corning 182 or 184, it's a clear silicone coating that can be pealed/scraped away when needed.

Reply to
Raymond van Elst

Yeah - I think that's what I going to try to use. Thanks ! JCD

Reply to
Pogo

messagenews:460edd5f$0$14700$ snipped-for-privacy@text.nova.planet.nl...> In the past at work I used Dow Corning 182 or 184, it's a clear silicone

Just make sure you clean ALL of the solder flux off of your PCB. The silicon conformal coating does not like to stick to solder flux!!!

Reply to
typhon62