removable potting compound ?

Is there such a thing as a removable potting compound of the type used in electronics?
I'm looking for something to secure wires and/or screw settings against vibration and strain but that can be removed for resoldering & adjusting. Maybe just plain silicone sealant is the best bet, but in the past when I have tried using it in thickness greater than 1/8" or so it either did not cure or took forever to do so! I want something I can apply once and cure in 24-48 hours at the most. I want to be able to remove it later without destroying the product it is used on ( most likely a circuit board of some type; DC-DC converter with screw terminals, etc. ... )
Thanks ! JCD
Pogo wrote:

Have you tried rubber cement?
Best, - Joe

No, but that's and idea I hadn't even considered. Might be more what I'm looking for. Something that can be peeled off later sounds like the ticket!
Thanks ! JCD
Is there such a thing as a removable potting compound of the type used in electronics?
I'm looking for something to secure wires and/or screw settings against vibration and strain but that can be removed for resoldering & adjusting. Maybe just plain silicone sealant is the best bet, but in the past when I have tried using it in thickness greater than 1/8" or so it either did not cure or took forever to do so! I want something I can apply once and cure in 24-48 hours at the most. I want to be able to remove it later without destroying the product it is used on ( most likely a circuit board of some type; DC-DC converter with screw terminals, etc. ... )
Thanks ! JCD
There is a two-part Room Temp. Vulcanizing Silicone putty than will cure in about a half hour. Nothing will stick to it so you will have to devise mechanical methods. My supplier has disappeared but I'd try McMaster Carr first.
Hot Glue?

Pogo wrote:

There's Fine-L-Kote, which is a conformal coat that's sprayed on, and there's Fine-L-Kote remover. But that's a conformal coat, not a potting compound. It's also a moderately hazardous material; you need ventilation, a respirator, and a fire extinguisher.
Search for "conformal coating", not "potting", and you'll find what you're looking for. "Potting" is where you fill a container with some hardening material. Read this:
http://www.thermospray.com/ccfaq.html#prop
What problem are you trying to solve? If it's loose screws on screw terminals, the answer is deformable phosphor-bronze lockwashers, which is what the military uses.
                    John Nagle

Excellent info on that page. But you almost need 3-D glasses to read it! From that page I found the Loctite link, (http://www.loctite.us ) I had no idea they make so much more stuff than you see on the retail shelves!
Anyway, thanks for the suggestions on what to search for. That should be a big help. JCD
On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 21:00:06 -0500, "Pogo"

You might try hot glue. It might come lose from slick surfaces, but it is fairly easy to remove when needed.
In the past at work I used Dow Corning 182 or 184, it's a clear silicone coating that can be pealed/scraped away when needed.

Yeah - I think that's what I going to try to use. Thanks ! JCD
On Apr 1, 2:08 am, "Pogo"
message In the past at work I used Dow Corning 182 or 184, it's a clear silicone

Just make sure you clean ALL of the solder flux off of your PCB. The silicon conformal coating does not like to stick to solder flux!!!