sealing a blast cabinet

I bought the Harbor Freight red benchtop blast cabinet for $49 at their Friday sale. I set it up and tried it out, and it leaked glass beads all over my garage floor. Really slippery! I need to seal all the seams, and thought I would ask here before I did it.

Duct tape? Caulk? Any other ideas?

Thanx!

__ "All it took was all I had..."

Reply to
Emmo

When I built my blast cabinet, I used a polyurethane sealant in a cau;lking tube / gun made by PL...Its available in most builder supply stores. I put a bead of the stuff between the joints as well as made fillets in the corners of all joints. Its virtually dust free and I have not had any leakage. It takes a couple of days for the PL to set up and not be tacky, but its better than silicone or duct tape could ever dream of being. Most any of thr PL products will do the job, as I have used em all for various odds and ends, the Poly roof and flashing sealer, masonary carack and joint sealer, trim and siding sealer.........its all good stuff and sticks great on most any metal right down to HDPE........which is normally pretty hard to get much to really adhere to. Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wife, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

Emmo,

You need to keep negative pressure inside the blast chamber - use a large capacity workshop vac or preferably a dust extractor made for the job. Mine has a dedicated unit with a 1/2 HP centrifugal fan and felt filters that can be shaken out into a drawer in the base by pulling a knob. No leakage at all except when I open one of the unit doors sometimes some media is sat on a door ledge and falls out. The suck is sufficient to make opening the doors noticably harder. Although there is a draught excluder rubber round the doors and good clips to pull the doors shut, I'm sure it would leak like a sieve if the chamber was over atmospheric pressure from the blasting air.

AWEM

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Do you have a shop vac hooked up to it? And is it running? I have a well sealed cabinet, but if I forget to turn on the vacuum, all that air I'm pushing in has to get out somewhere. Mine has two louvred ports to act as intakes when the vacuum is running. But, without the vacuum they become exit ports and the beads go out along with the air.

One day I got in a hurry and left the vacuum off for a long time. I spent the rest of the afternoon caughing. Now I wear a dual filter mask whenever I'm blasting. I think I'll hook the vacuum up with the light. I've never inadvertently blasted with the light off. ;)

Reply to
Ken Moffett

Congratulations, I bought one of those cabinets, thinking how could they screw up a box... Mine also leaked abrasive. I used Silicone Sealant and it has worked ok. Mine had a single hole on a seam about 2" from the bottom of the pickup that was quick to find (you could see abrasive leaking) and easy to seal.

Good Luck, Bob

Reply to
MetalHead

My factor Trico came wired that way.

Gunner

"I mean, when's the last time you heard of a college where the Young Republicans staged a "Sit In" to close down the Humanities building? On the flip side, how many sit in's were staged to close the ROTC building back in the '60's? Liberals stage protests, do civil disobedience, etc. Conservatives talk politely and try to work out a solution to problems through discourse until they believe that talking won't work... they they go home and open the gun cabinets. Pray things never get to the point where the conservatives decide that "civil disobedience" is the next step, because that's a very short route to "voting from the rooftops" Jeffrey Swartz, Misc.Survivalism

Reply to
Gunner

's,_The

Reply to