blast deflectors

I am thinking about doing some testing of blast deflector materials. What sort of novel materials to people use for blast deflectors? Titanium? Tungsten? Coffee can lids?

Bill the Geek

Reply to
Bill VanRemmen

Pottery.

Shapes.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Abrasive cutting disks

Reply to
Chuck Pierce

Would those be aluminum? How thick?

Bill the Geek

Reply to
Bill VanRemmen

Last year I found some blank, uncoated hard drive disks at a surplus store. I've been using them as blast deflectors and they work quite well up to about K motor. The only drawback is that they're a bit small.

Reply to
RayDunakin

I'm not sure what they are. The surplus store said they were nickle-steel, but someone else said they were aluminum. They drill pretty easy so I'm guessing they may be a high grade aluminum. They're about a 1/16th inch thick.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Bill

I don't have a direct answer for you, although I am pretty sure Doc of

would be interested in results.

Promise us you won't try Magnesium ;-)

And now with one of my patented brain flashes...

Reply to
Al Gloer

Hmm, hadn't thought of magnesium. That could be fun... once.

I've heard of people using things like this (right-angle chimney flue material, I believe). It worked great for the smaller stuff, but I guess someone tried to use it with a K motor and the high-speed gasses actually caused the tube to suck it's walls into itself.

Bill the Geek

Reply to
Bill VanRemmen

For my model pads I found galvanized round plates for electrical box covers at the hardware store. 69 cents each. About the same size as the Estes pad. If the rocket is a little large the deflector can be repositioned to use a screw hole already in the plate but off to the side rather than the hole I drilled in the center.

For my LMR pad I have a fairly large $3 Stainless steel bowl turned upside down. I drilled a hole in the center for the rod.

For my rails I have another SS Bowl that I dremel cut a section of the bowl so that it wraps around the rail.

Layne Rossi

Reply to
L & K

I used that on all my pads up until 2-3 years ago. Works great on motor under J size. Since they're just thin sheet metal, the bigger motors really do a number on 'em.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Wok.

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

I'll put any test results up on the website. I'm always looking for data.

That could be cool too. ;-)

Reply to
Doc

Currently I use the face or front cover from our old furnace. For the rail, I just got some high speed doohickeys from a friend at a copier repair company. They are heavy 1/8 inch thick disks that are 10 inches in dia.

John Hornsby

Reply to
a.hornsbyiii

Pepsi can 1/8 full of BP?

"Recreational purpose"

Email me for a link :-(((

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

So what are you using on your bigger suff? A water filled flame trench?

Reply to
Alan Jones

Nope, just a hard drive disk to protect the pad, and rocks on and around the pad which do double duty as stabilizing ballast/blast deflectors. :)

Reply to
RayDunakin

I wonder what kind of a 'steam plume' a water filled trench would generate. Anyone tried this before? I'm guessing a big 'ol WL cluster sitting there for a few seconds before liftoff would be very cool.

Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Harvey

Large. You can improve it by spraying water over the blast area as well. Self-pressurized sprayers are trivial and can be activated at ignition.

Big dumb rockets rule.

Pardon the tech post!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine