Seasoning a Stainless Blast Deflector

Got a Quad Pod pad delivered the other day. The one with the stainless deflector. Looks nice. Trying to make up my mind to name her either
Lisa or Leslie...
Hey - The past few years of taking a bunch of city scouts out to the wilderness (swing sharp objects, chop down trees, dig holes, and start fires) has gotten me pretty good at seasoning cast iron--Comes clean real easy and got thinking...
Last blast deflector discussions were in 2002...
Anything new since then?
Nothing fatal, just curious. Would rather simply wipe than scour, if at all...
Andy
Hey Andy! I have a Quad Pod too! Now I know about seasoning cast iron and all, but what would be the purpose of seasoning stainless? It's stainless, right?
When I got my Quad Pod (second hand, but barely used) I had a nice talk with Joe Grasso about maintenance. Unfortunately, I didn't write anything down! IIRC the key thing is to clean the blast deflector after every use and maybe spray it down with silicone spray. Same for the screws. Bearing should be cleaned "often" depending on use.
Andy Eng wrote:

Alex Mericas wrote:

Yup -- Simply been awhile. I keen with stainless rods but honestly can't recall ever bothering cleaning up a stainless deflector. The things almost looks too pretty to use.
Not...

Silicone sounds good. Grit gathering greases/lubes are annoying. May add a dust skirt to shield the bearings.
Andy

Alex Mericas wrote:

Stainless Steel is attacked by halogens such as chlorine and fluorine. Since the exhaust has chlorides in it, it will pit the Stainless.
Mark Simpson
Hmmmm...
snipped-for-privacy@wowway.com wrote:

Only one Mark Simpson I know of that's this smart--IIRC, he was an RSO's nightmare...

Would you be the Mark Simpson that would recommend coating it with wood glue?!?!?
:-) <==== just in case...
Andy
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

FWIW, I have had mine since the Impulse Aerospace days, and do next to nothing with regard to maintenance. I do shoot some WD40 on the threads and on the bearings occasionally, and every now and then I will put a dab of motor grease on them if I have some on my hand.
A Kosdon style load every now and then will keep the deflector clean.
;-)
--
Tweak

Seasoning cast iron works because cast iron is a bit porous (even more so when it is designed for cookware), and because the seasoning creates an oil film that sheds water and other cooking related gunk for a while.
You won't be able to season stainless steel because it is not porous. And even if you could, the heat of rocket exhaust would burn away the oil layer in short order and then you'd be back where you started.
-- David

Hey David,
Metallurgically, you're absolutely correct....
Emotionally, I'll get past the idea of keeping such a nice looking stainless looking new.
The idea of a Kosdon every-so-often fits.
Best, Andy
David wrote:

I use MSG with some Cajon added for my seasoning
AlMax wrote:

Hmmm... MSG gives me a headache but Cajon's good stuff....
The landowner *did* pull out a baby 4 foot gator out of the bayou earlier this year...
North yonder a-ways is a nestling of bucks and does -- dressed out right, may go well.
Dove should be arriving in a few week also...
Okay all - All emotion aside, I fired a few LMR's off of Lisa/Leslie (still haven't figured out what to name her) and all was splendid...
She did wisper to me, "Gimme more...."
Andy