maroon/purple blast furnace engine?

trying to satisfy a very hazy memory here - that of a large single (vertical) cylinder steam engine used as part of a blast furnace. It was painted purple or maroon - I don't recall which. This would have been at a UK museum in the 1980s; I'd always assumed it was the Black Country museum as that was the area I was living in at the time, but a visit to that museum about four years ago revealed no such engine.

It was in a brick building, and I *think* across the track from a large open shed containing a beam engine, but I might be wrong about the geography there.

I doubt it moved sites, although it could easily have been repainted since - it is around 25 years, after all.

Not really important for any reason - just one of those little niggles that's always somewhat satisfying to resolve :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Could it possibly be Blists Hill Museum at Ironbridge, I remember a large engine (41 on the map) in the blast furnace area just across from David & Samson (47 0n the map).

Map is at

Regards

Andy M

Reply to
Andy

Yes, it's a blast furnace blowing engine. Single vertical cylinder directly coupled to another larger pumping cylinder. There's a flywheel, but it doesn't drive anything.

Reply to
Andy Dingley