Air cooling blast device

Hi all,

In the maintenance shop at the plant where I work, the machinist has a device mounted beside the milling machine that directs a blast of cold air onto the toolbit\workpiece. At the opposite end of this gadget, you can feel low pressure warm air coming out.

The label on the device is long gone, and he didn't know much about it, other than it works and is fantastically cleaner than using oil for cooling\lubing.

Does anyone here know anything about these devices? Like where a person could get one, how much they cost, what their limitations are, etc.?

There was no power source attached to it, so it doesn't use electricity. I couldn't see any kind of oil resevoir on it either.

I've just never heard of such a thing before, and it's got me curious as hell :=)

Intrepid

Reply to
Intrepid

Forgot to mention that it is mounted inline with the high pressure air source, and has a ball valve for starting\stopping the air flow.

Intrepid

Reply to
Intrepid

They are called vortex tubes. I made one from a Popular Science article back in the 60's. The cold end gets so cold that frost will build up on the brass tube, and the hot end can get hot enough that you don't want to touch it.

Do a google search on "vortex tube" and you should get lots of information. I know there are plans to make your own as well as commercially produced ones.

Here is one link that gives a good overview.

Lane

Reply to
Lane

McMaster lists them

Reply to
James

Intrepid wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Probably a vortex tube "cold gun". Exair makes them.

They also make drum vac's and a nifty compressed air drum pump. It'll pump

45 gallons of coolant in the blink of an eye.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Murphy

Thanks for the info everybody :)

Found lots of theory, and I think, enough to do some experimenting!

Intrepid

Reply to
Intrepid