Looking for an A.C. Sphinx air cleaner

Hi folks,

I'm looking for an air cleaner to suit my Dennis lawnmower. It currently has a plastic air cleaner fitted which looks all wrong.

According to the Spare Parts List, the correct air cleaner is an "A.C. Sphinx Oil Bath Type" with a 1 1/2" circular opening in the bottom. I believe they may later have been sold under the name A.C. Delco. The air cleaner is of a squat, cylindrical shape with a removable lid.

Here's a picture of a lawnmower (not mine) with the correct air filter:

I have the curly pipe. I just need the air cleaner.

Anyone got one they want to sell, or know where I might find one?

Best wishes,

Chris Tidy

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Having done a bit of research online, it seems that the Lister CS uses a similar air cleaner. There's a place selling new ones here:

However, from the picture it looks like a somewhat cheesy Indian copy of the original (but I'm prepared to be convinced otherwise if anyone has one). Also, I don't know the diameter of the opening.

Anyone got a Lister CS air cleaner they want to sell, and if so what is the diameter of the opening in the bottom?

Many thanks,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

The CS is a larger version, about 9" diameter, I've got a new one somewhere, I'll check the sizes tonight.

AC made these in 4 or 5 different diameters by memory. Bedford used them on their small trucks.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

Thanks. That would be great. I think the one I need is about 6" in diameter, but that's just a guess based on the picture. I haven't actually seen one to measure.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

There's a dry filter version as well, uses a throw-away element.

Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@prepair.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

By the way, there are a couple of other small parts I need for this project:

- Wipac glass bowl fuel filter with 1/4" BSPP connections

- 1/8" BSPP male to 1/4" BSPP female adaptor banjo or elbow

If anyone has these for sale in good condition, or knows of a source, again I'd be grateful if you'd let me know.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Did you get chance to check the size of the Lister CS air cleaner?

No hurry.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

By the way, I'm also looking for the following:

- Champion 7 Com. L spark plug (18 mm thread, 5/8" reach).

- Wico Series "A" magneto extra long oil tube (fitted in place of the normal oil tube when the magneto is in an awkward location).

If anyone has either of these items, please let me know.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Still looking for it, Chris, I think it went into the loft when the house building was going on, and is possibly buried.

I'll venture up there tonight and see if I can find it.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 14:04:46 +0000, Christopher Tidy finished tucking into their plate of fish, chips and mushy peas. Wiping their mouths, they swigged the last of their cup of tea, paid the bill and wrote::

You could try:

and if you want proper knurled nuts (Ooooh missus!) and terminations for HT leads, try here searching in Ebay for the seller called rattlenackers.

Brian L Dominic

Web Site:

Newsgroup readers should note that the reply-to address is NOT read: To email me, please send to brian(dot)dominic(at)tiscali(dot)co(dot)uk

Reply to
Brian Dominic

Thanks. That's actually just a 7 Com. equivalent I think, similar to the commonly available Champion D-16. The 7 Com. L has a longer reach.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

No problem. I understand. That kind of thing happens to me a lot!

I have also been told that the Lister SR engines use a similar air cleaner.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy