C or D motor air start?

Can anyone point me at some information on how I might build an electronics
package for D range motors that could have a parachute recovery booster
section and an electronically started second stage? What about timed
ejection of the primary recovery system?
Reply to
Richard Watts
RDH8 missleworks
Reply to
Jerry Irvine
The "G-Wiz LC" electronic unit would have the required functionality... a low-energy ignition system (to minimize the weight of the staging battery would sure help. A sensitive e-match with a bit of Jetex wick - if it could still be found - would need much less juice than the standard Estes igniter for the upper stage.
-dave w
Reply to
David Weinshenker
Or dipped.
Reply to
Jerry Irvine
richard:
check out
and perform a search..you wil find a wealth of information and ideas.. search words: air start, gap staging
and or also do a
search on rec.models.rockets
shockie B)
electronics
Reply to
shockwaveriderz

They offer a variety of timers and altimeters.
Satisfied customer.... -Scott
electronics
Reply to
Scott Oliver
I fly the "Big Daddy Deluxe". It has a G-Wiz and a couple of batteries in the nosecone, and lifts off on a 24mm composite motor. At burnout of the composite, it air starts a pair of 18mm BP motors. The G-Wiz then controls ejection. It was seen recently on the "Tactical to Practical" show. They didn't really get good footage of the flight, but it is there. What they also didn't mention is that it was quite windy the day we did the demo launch for them. I also have a G-Wiz mounted in an "Avenger 29", the kit-bash of the VB "Bob" model that was written up on ROL a while back. The G-Wiz controls staging, as well as dual-deployment recovery in the sustainer. The booster is recovered using a MAD in the interstage coupler. Kinda complex, but it works quite well. But the short answer is yes, Richard, it is possible to do air starts in a smaller model. It's fun, too!
James L. Marino SAS, SARG, LUNAR, TCC, AEROPAC, NAR #75764 L2 TRA #9489 L2 AMA #761674
"Ban light pollution, not rocket motors."
electronics
Reply to
James L. Marino
Adept rocketry has some good electronics for this.
Mark Hamilton