Silicone caulk as a molding compound?

I got out an old tube of silicone kitchen & bath caulk. It was completely hardened in the tube & out of curiosity I cut the tube apart. It is interesting stuff: it is quite solid (i.e., holds together) & about as hard as an eraser. It made me wonder if it could be used as a molding compound. It didn't show any effect from molten zinc. But my guess is that curing time would be excessive. Does anybody know if this silicone can be used for molding? Is there a way to speed up curing (additive or heat)?.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Once again RCM comes through! Thanks for all the good replies - the voices of experience and of the chemistry.

The attractiveness of the silicone caulk is its availability and its cheapness. I am reluctant to buy the 2 part compound because of its expense and my very limited demand for it. If I could use the caulk, it would be much more convenient. From the replies, it is something that I'll try.

Another question: the solid piece that I recovered from the old tube looked like it might make a good anti-vibration mounting. I'd say that it would be more compliant than the hard-ish rubber mounts that I'm familiar with (maybe a lot of compliance isn't a good thing?). Would it stand up to long term vibration, without tearing apart? I'm talking very little displacement, and machinery range frequency (1500 - 4000 Hz).

Thanks again, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt