Curious Silicone Sealant

I used some old rtv silicone on friday, I knew it was past it's best as I had to pull a load of solid out of the cartridge to get to some liquid. Funny thing is that the stuff I got out has not hardened after three days, not even skinned over ! This was an "eversil" acetic acid smelling sealer. No real acid smell present though. Anyone come accross this before - or can explain what has happened. I always thought that this stuffs shelf life just meant how long it took to go solid in the tube. Mark.

Reply to
Markgengine

I've had this happen once with old silicone, very messy to remove so I immediatly threw out all the older tubes I'd had in storage :o(

Google found this :-

Neil Barnes

Was given a box of sealants last year by a neighbour - thought I was set for life.

Ah well, nice site with some good tips - loved the word 'caulkulator'!

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Can't say as I've had this happen to me even with tubes a few years old. I suppose different brands behave differently. I use clear silicone in engine assembly (on sump gaskets etc) but not very frequently and each tube lasts me ages so I often have to pull a big plug of the stuff out of the nozzle because it's set hard. The current tube has a date of 09/02 on it and is still curing perfectly normally. Whether that's a use by date or a production date it doesn't say. It's also only 1/4 used so I guess I'll have it for a few years yet.

Maybe in time I'll find out if it refuses to set.

--

-- Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

Dave Baker

I keep my main stock of RTV, Cyanoacrylate, Locktites and Epoxies tucked away in a box at the bottom of the household deep freeze. Day to day use quantities are kept at room temperature except for cyanoacrylate which lives in the 'fridge.

Some items must be ten years old - I haven't had a failure yet.

Jim

Reply to
pentagrid

.> I keep my main stock of RTV, Cyanoacrylate,

Sounds like a plan - I had a part used can of RTV which didn't last a year.

Steve .

Reply to
Steve

Lucky bugger, I have one job that uses loctite at the rate of 1-1/2, 250ml bottles of high strength retainer per day

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

John, I thought you worked to tighter tolerances than this!!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Not when I'm rushing

These are for locking conveyor roller wheels to shafts.The old wheels were a press fit on but this lot are bored 40mm plus a gnats cod so a good dab of Loctite works wonders.