Injection Mold Video

Ok... the video is technically not metal working, but I used a lot of
metalworking techniques learned in this newsgroup to get to the point where
I could shoot this video.
I thought one or two of you guys might enjoy seeing where your knowledge was
applied.

Sorry, I should have included RCM and Tackleunderground in the credits. My
mistake. Go ahead talk bad about me.

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Good work! very impressive.
CarlBoyd
Reply to
Carl
Those will work great on Pike, do you want me to field test some?
Reply to
Buerste
Well, I 'm not going to talk bad about you or your project. I owned and operated a small plastic injection molding business and what you are doing sure doesn't look like injection molding. Looks like squirting hot snot into a mold and letting it cool. What exactly is the resin you are using?
The last job we did before shutting down due to a more pressing need for the electric power was a cheese baiter made from several polyethelene pieces. The stinky cheese bait was pressed into a holder then pressed back out a little at a time to bait the hook. Supposedly never got the stuff on your fingers. The old guy that invented it passed away a few years ago. Lost my shirt on the job.
Could you not get the same results from RTV?
Paul
Reply to
co_farmer
On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 23:07:08 -0400, "Buerste" wrote the following:
Bait, Bob? You took their valuable knowledge and turned it into BAIT? ;)
Newer tablecloth next time you film, Bob?
Aha! I always knew you were a piker, Tawm.
-- Peace of mind is that mental condition in which you have accepted the worst. -- Lin Yutang
Reply to
Larry Jaques
Very very nice Bob! Bravo!!
Gunner
One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch
Reply to
Gunner Asch
Not even that. I turned it into bait molds., well that and hand injector that I didn't even use in that video.
Hey, I was running out of foil. Between protecting the baits and blocking brain wave scanners it just doesn't go as far as it used to.

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Purist!
Its called plastisol in the bait making circles. I believe it's a heat activated PVC with an oil based suspension to control the hardness when it cools. It comes as a white liquid, and if it sets for a while it separates out with what looks like a light oil on top. After it has been heated past its activation point it resets or cools as the rubbery pseudo solid you see in the video. RTV silicone is to my knowledge not used for this type of end product, but there are some bait makers that use RTV carefully mixed with a tiny bit of water to make it cure to make molds for hard baits. One shade tree approach is to use store bought silicone adhesives. Basically hard mold for soft bait and soft mold for hard bait. There are also a few who use RTV molds for soft baits but from the videos I have seen it looks like they are kind of a pain to de-mold.
I assume you mean silicone with RTV chemicals added. I don't actually know much about using RTV silicone, but the curing time is measured in hours or days with the few I have worked with. Also most of the RTV silicones set up way to hard and with not enough stretch for this type of bait. The break in the video I posted was only a minute or two. By the time I shot the fourth mold I could have started de-molding the first one, but I wanted to let it cool a few extra seconds so hopefully I wouldn't drop them or bounce them around in my hands like a hot potato in the video. LOL. With six or more molds I could shoot basically nonstop. When I do a larger batch of plastic I use a Presto Pot instead of the Pyrex cup and the microwave, and I set all my dross aside in a baking pan to re-melt later.
Reply to
Bob La Londe
Very nice. Brings back childhood memories of my Mattel Thingmaker and Plastigoop...
Reply to
Jim Stewart
My wife said basically the same thing. LOL.
Reply to
Bob La Londe
I had a Kenner Moldmaster.
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany
ROFLMAO!!!!
Gunner
One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch
Reply to
Gunner Asch
How did you get the shape you wanted into the aluminum blocks?
RWL
Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 14:41:07 -0400, Spehro Pefhany wrote the following:
OMG, I just remembered that I had a Mattel Vac-U-Form as a kid! I hadn't thought about that for 45 years or so.
-- Peace of mind is that mental condition in which you have accepted the worst. -- Lin Yutang
Reply to
Larry Jaques
CNC mini mill.
Mill - Taig 2019CR Controller - Deepgroove1 NC - Mach 3 CAM - Cam Bam 0.9.7 CAD - Cam Bam, Inkscape, Corel Draw, Gsimple
Now that I am learning how to use it Cam Bam is really becoming a great tool. A couple of the molds I made were designed with the simple CAD tools built into Cam Bam. Makes me wish I could afford a real machine with super high speed spindle and automatic tool changer. The next thing I need to do is stop playing with my machine for a while and learn how to use a serious CAD program. After I finish putting my lathe back together...

Reply to
Bob La Londe
While laying awake for several hours last nite, the syringe you were using to suck up the plastic goo kept appearing. Then I realized what it was. Dad used an identical device to shoot medicine into the back of animals mouths so they would have to swallow it. Yours looks rather short, like for animals smaller than cattle. Am I correct?
Paul
Reply to
co_farmer
Well it might be considered shooting medicine into cattle... Medicine to make dead cattle taste better. The one I was using in the video shoots marinade into meat. It was originally setup with a needle about four inches long with several holes along its length. I cut off the needle and drilled out the remains of the tip so that the plastic would flow more easily.

Bob La Londe