Chip Break Questions... Video Links Provided

I'm posting this in the CNC group because I feel you guys have the best chance of solving my chip build-up issues...

Check out this link for a 2" hole being drilled through a 3/4" piece of steel with the 5160-x series AutoDrill.

We haven't quite solved the chip build-up issue yet given the different diameter holes that can be drilled, etc. See the problem here:

We think that either a stationary bar next to the tool or some type of peck cycle will help solve the issue but given the fact that we're two days into the 2" diameter process, I figure we're doing okay.

Note that the chip issue in the first video is solved by having an interrupted cut. In other words, the large 2" hole intersected with a another hole just ever so slightly so that the chip was not continuous.

Would love thoughts from the experts on the chip break issue. Will try to answer any legitimate questions asked.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Tapping:
Site:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

tnik

That's exactly where we are headed with the next test.

We can do pecking

but haven't yet hooked up a PLC to do rapid pecking such as is probably needed to make this work efficiently.

I think that even a momentary lack of thrust would probably be enough if it was applied every few rotations... But only a test will tell.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Joe, That is what I was going to suggest. I've observed this when manually drilling, just a slight let up in pressure with out retracting will break the chips.

Best, Steve

Reply to
Garlicdude

a supposedly pro engineering company that does not know how to chip break............well I never did.

Reply to
Mark Opolo

For such a light weight looking unit, it sure makes quick work of that

2 inch hole. Very nice!
Reply to
Joe788

My best thought would be to go for a "chip break" cycle. Maybe feed down like .05...then back up .01...then back down .06...ect. Perhaps even a variable feedrate....go in at normal feedrate for a bit...then lighten up a bunch...then back down at normal speed. After checking out the first vid...I was thinking.."what chip issue???" The interrupted cut looked amazingly smooth...I would of never guessed it if you had not mentioned it. I do think that incorporating a chipbreaker in this application would be very tough.....When I think of a "conventional" chipbreaker you try to force the chip to curl upon itself. In a hole making operation....making a chip curl back into the hole would not be a good thing....unless you could somehow incorporate a chipbreaker higher up the flute. Downside to that idea is your tools would turn out to be "depth specific"

Reply to
Zymrgy