Wood Splitting

Hi all,

Came across this wood splitting video... the guy has a clever way of keeping things contained with a Bungee cord and little length of rope:

Sorry if this is common knowledge... I have almost zero wood chopping/splitting experience, but thought it to be a good idea!

Erik

Reply to
Erik

I've not seen this trick. Looks OK for dead easy to split wood, which is the extreme minority of wood. I used the maul ONE YEAR. Then I built a hydraulic wood splitter for the last thirty years. So, it wouldn't apply here.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

That's like crazy-easy wood to split. The closest I've ever come to that is madrona, and I don't think it was that easy.

Splitting wood by hand is character-building, and used to be great fun when I was a kid splitting wood for a little vacation cabin once in a while. I think if I were heating a house with it I'd get a splitter, too.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Karl Townsend wrote: ... Then I built a hydraulic

"Hydraulic wood splitter"? You mean like this: ?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Excellent video! Thanks!

The guy obviously knows what he is doing as well. Good choice of splitting mall too.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Works fine on those smooth pieces of wood with no branch burls in there. Get something that isn't straight grained, and it wouldn't work worth a darn. Not all firewood rounds are the clean ones like those free of grain that will make it very difficult to split.

And why would one want to work so hard when a splitter saves so much work? I had heart surgery. I ain't swinging no maul. Get yo mama to split the wood.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Won't work with Dutch Elm. I do not know if this one would stall

I use this

-- Boris

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Dutch elm is the disease of red elm and white elm (also know as piss elm - smell it). White elm is the most difficult to split wood their is. I heated my house with it for over ten years while the Dutch elm disease was wiping out every neighborhood.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Hmm...I have a neighbor that burns wood. Has a semi-load hauled in for $$$, uses a small Ford tractor with hydraulic bucket to move wood around $$$$$, hydraulic log splitter $$$$, chainsaw $$$, generator $$$ to run electric conveyor $$$ to put split wood into transfer trailer $$$$, to feed outside water boiler/burner $$$$.

I am always in awe watching this, wondering where the savings is...

I still split wood with a maul and wedges when necessary. Cut most of the wood with a cross-cut or bucksaw. Figure I get my exercise and don't piss away more money than I save in the process (shrug).

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Have you ever had your sternum chainsawed in half then put back together with stainless steel wire? If you have, and can still do all that, you're a better man than I am. If you haven't, get back to me after you are in the club.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Gunner, raising his gloved hand, after loading the third trailer load of tree he chainsawed down....

Gunner Asch

I've done and loaded a bunch of shit in the seven years since my surgery. But it is only when I have to. Wood splitting does not fall in that category. Cutting it down and cutting it to length does, as well as unloading 2,000 of pavers that I have to do tomorrow. Splitting wood makes no sense to me when I have a new log splitter.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

7 years ago? Mine was 10 months ago. Shrug...I think of it as simply stretching the now evidently well healed sturnum and getting the kinks out of it...giving me that Manly Man chest profile that Ive always wanted

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Thanks for the correction. Burns rely well when bone dry which takes time because it is so dense.

-- Boris

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Not yet, that's why I try to do some vigorous exercise on a regular basis. Dad was still bucking wood, cutting trees/brush with a scythe and axe well into his 80's. Alzheimer's saw to his demise. Something to look forward to I surmise...

Reply to
Leon Fisk