Grizzly Wood Tool Chests?

Man - those look like "G" boxes to me. Made overseas. Physically looks nice on the page - suspect they are. No idea for sure on the fit or if green wood was used.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.

Mike Henry wrote:
Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn
I'm looking for opinions on the wood tool chests that Grizzly is offering in
their latest flyer:

and in particular the oak 7-drawer unit (H7715) near the center of the page
as that one would just fit in a spot that needs a roll-around tool chest in
my basement shop. Are there any owners of similar units here or folks that
may have seen them in person? Grizzly is far enough away that it would have
to be bought on faith from. I'm in the Chicago area, though, so if anyone
knows of comparable units available from stores in that area, I'd like to
hear about it.
Mike
Reply to
Mike Henry
Haven't looked at one of these in person but the words "beautiful face veneer over stable center core construction" makes me think it's a particle board box. The roll around box you are looking at has big drawers and will want to rack badly if you fill them with tools.
Mike Henry wrote:
Reply to
RoyJ
It's veneer over particle board... AFAIC Import crap..
I've had a genuine "G" (That's "G" as in Gerstner) 10 drawer (including the "book" drawer) for 15 years (yeah I'm a newbie) and it's as good as the day my wife bought it for me (eat yer hearts out guys she buys me machine tools too)....
I stuck mine top of a nice solid oak roll around "microwave" cart I bought at CrudCo for $50 (has 2 shelves and a drawer) and have been happy as a clam ever since...
If that's what yer gonna buy save yer money and wait till Horrible Freight has them on sale (they do about twice a year)...
--.- Dave
Reply to
Dave August
"G" box is a new term for me - what's it mean? Unless it refers to "government" job...
The fit and quality of wood were a couple of concerns I have. I'm not expecting Gerstner quality but it would be nice if the drawers open smoothly, fit pretty well, and can hold a few tools without falling apart. The cheap import machinst's chests (the small ones with a handle) I've seen up close are mostly what prompted the question here. I wasn't too impressed with those and a friend's is already splitting at a seam a year or two after he bought it.
Kennedy sells a somwhat comparable small roll-around chest that might work, but I've heard that they are shutting down operations. Lista and Vidmar are out of my price range, even assuming they have something comparable.
Mike
> > Martin > > Martin H. Eastburn > @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net > TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. > NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder > IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. >
> > Mike Henry wrote: >> I'm looking for opinions on the wood tool chests that Grizzly is offering >> in their latest flyer: >> >>
>> and in particular the oak 7-drawer unit (H7715) near the center of the >> page as that one would just fit in a spot that needs a roll-around tool >> chest in my basement shop. Are there any owners of similar units here or >> folks that may have seen them in person? Grizzly is far enough away that >> it would have to be bought on faith from. I'm in the Chicago area, >> though, so if anyone knows of comparable units available from stores in >> that area, I'd like to hear about it. >> >> Mike > >
Reply to
Mike Henry
I never even noticed that description at the top and just assumed it was solid "real" wood, so thanks for that vurtual dope slap. I wonder how long it would be before the veneer starts to peal off.
It would mostly hold end mills and small tooling for a small CNC mill so racking probably wouldn't be much of a problem, but for a couple hundred more I should be able to find something that will still look decent in a few yeras.
Mike
Reply to
Mike Henry
"Mike Henry" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com:
Time for a road trip
Gerstner Annual Warehouse Sale June 8, 9 & 10th, 2007
This page hasn't been updated but should give you a good idea of what it's all about:
Reply to
D Murphy
Oh - that sort of "G"! Mice stuff. My wife doesn't buy me tools, but she did help move an 1100-lb mill into the basement - does that count?
CrudCo = CostCo? A friend has a membership and has been after me to check out their SS roll-around chests, but there's not enough room for that where this one is needed.
Or maybe Gerstner International:
That's only a couple hundred more than the Grizzly and is made of solid wood, according to another page on the Gerstner web site. It's a bit too high and wide though maybe it could be shoehorned in with some re-arrangment and it looks like they are sold through Sears at $449 with pickup available from a local store, which is a major consideration.
Mike
Reply to
Mike Henry
On 23 May 2007 04:12:33 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, D Murphy quickly quoth:
I've suddenly lost all respect for Gerstner, having just found out that they stain cherry (and oak) wood. Feh! Heathens.
- Yea, though I walk through the valley of Minwax, I shall stain no Cherry. ---
NoteSHADES(tm) laptop privacy/glare guards
Reply to
Larry Jaques
I stained a few cherries in my youth. sigh.
Reply to
Rex
Mike Costco and Sams both sell a pretty nice-looking large machinists chest. Last I looked, the Sam's was a well-built oak thing. Costco had something made with a fine-grain blonde wood which looked real good. Each were about $100.
Reply to
Rex
I wonder if any good plans for a Gertner style box exist on the net. I got a bunch of wood seasoning away in the shop.
Wes
Reply to
Wes
Sure does :-)
Correct assumption. I'm not a real fan of all the "Kirkland" stuff, but they do ocassionaly have things worth buying.
Hey If you can get at "G" on sale do it. you won't be dissapointed. All the drawers are hand fit and hand numbered on the back to match the serial number of the chest and the guy who built mine was proud enough of his work that he signed his name inside it.
Solid wood isn't the word.. it's quarter sawen oak ( or walnut if you want) and looks better than most peoples furniture.
--.- Dave
Reply to
Dave August
My comments are interspersed
No, it's not. It's "constructed of solid hardwood and select hardwood veneers."
I just bought a 10 drawer 26" chest (top box) #H7716. The only particle board in mine are th' felt lined drawer bottoms. If one wanted to replace those, it's a simple matter of pulling a few staples, sliding those out and replacing with whatever.
AFAIC it's a good box for th' money, and I'll be buying their 9 drawer 26" cabinet (roll around) # H7717 next. A friend of mine has had these boxes in his home shop for about 7 years now and they still look/function as good as new... particle board drawer bottoms and all.
I looked at Gerstners as well, too much money for my budget... maybe someday, maybe not.
They're on sale (Grizzly) right now. $145.00 for my top box.
Well Mike, overall I'm real happy with mine. There's no stops to keep th' drawers from pulling all th' way out, but I don't believe Gerstners have those either. A little silicon lube periodically on th' drawer slides is recommended, as well as a high quality furniture polish on th' surfaces.
Th' lock and hasps are kind of cheap, but thieves gotta get in, and back out of my shop *alive*, to steal anything. And Grizzly's shipping dept. did a great job of packaging. It arrived as promised and when they said it would. For th' money, I'm a happy camper and expect that with proper care this box will last longer than me.
Snarl
Reply to
snarl
And yet more advice from someone else who admittedly doesn't have one... let alone ever even looked at one.
In another post I replied to I mentioned a friend who's had a set of Grizzley's top box/roll around for about 7 years. He had a set of similar Gerstner boxes that were stolen. He loved his Gerstner boxes, but isn't at all unhappy about chosing Grizzly for replacements.
Snarl
Reply to
snarl
I already replied to a couple of other posts about this, but yes, I'm pleased with mine. And no, I don't have any affiliation with them... just a happy customer.
Grizzly is having their Summer tent sale in Springfield, MO on June 23rd, 8am-3pm. Not exactly close, but it might make for a nice road trip if you have th' time.
Word I got is that hotels/motels book up fast for these and bargain hunters leave smiling. I'm going to th' one in Bellingham, WA to see if I might be able to score a vertical mill.
Snarl
Reply to
snarl
The real G boxes :
I have a war period one in black silk. Yep - black lacquer paint with silk within it.
Dad and I bought it together in 1952. The tool salesman loved us! Lathe, fixturing, tools, cutters.... Machinery's Handbook....etc in a trip to an out of town town. Had the Lathe delivered with most of the tooling. Our little 2 door handled some of the goodies and me. I have it now - Dad gives it a pat when he visits.

Mike Henry wrote:
>> Man - those look like "G" boxes to me. Made overseas. > > "G" box is a new term for me - what's it mean? Unless it refers to > "government" job... > >> Physically looks nice on the page - suspect they are. >> No idea for sure on the fit or if green wood was used. > > The fit and quality of wood were a couple of concerns I have. I'm not > expecting Gerstner quality but it would be nice if the drawers open > smoothly, fit pretty well, and can hold a few tools without falling > apart. The cheap import machinst's chests (the small ones with a handle) > I've seen up close are mostly what prompted the question here. I wasn't > too impressed with those and a friend's is already splitting at a seam a > year or two after he bought it. > > Kennedy sells a somwhat comparable small roll-around chest that might > work, but I've heard that they are shutting down operations. Lista and > Vidmar are out of my price range, even assuming they have something > comparable. > > Mike > >> >> Martin >> >> Martin H. Eastburn >> @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net >> TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. >> NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder >> IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. >>
>>> and in particular the oak 7-drawer unit (H7715) near the center of >>> the page as that one would just fit in a spot that needs a >>> roll-around tool chest in my basement shop. Are there any owners of >>> similar units here or folks that may have seen them in person? >>> Grizzly is far enough away that it would have to be bought on faith >>> from. I'm in the Chicago area, though, so if anyone knows of >>> comparable units available from stores in that area, I'd like to hear >>> about it. >>> >>> Mike >> >>
Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn
Staining of Cherry and Oak is not only common it is standard.
If the Cherry isn't lightly stained most would not have it in the house. The light pink wood just doesn't cut it and when it is mixed brown and pink it isn't nice. Minwax is more a light to medium transparent paint. It isn't the soup that is put on violins or Grandfathers.
The real trick is understanding the type of coloring and protectorate.
The fine furniture industry always does a colored varnish of sorts. The Cherry glows through. I know. I have a tall grandfather clock that I bought back in the early 80's. It is glowing nicely. It looked nice for years.
Oak is the same. Depth of finish takes time. But it has to be protected and the customers demand tinting due to the blond nature of newly cut wood.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.

Larry Jaques wrote:
Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn
Thanks - that's the first report from an actual owner AIR. It sounds like one of the Grizzly's might be acceptable unless quality has dropped since your friend bought his.
A road trip would be real pleasant right now, but work just won't cooperate.
Mike
Reply to
Mike Henry
Uhhhh------Rex-----I think it's not the same cherry. :-)