Opinions on Palmgren 803015 Metal/Wood Bandsaw

I'm looking for a small vertical metal bandsaw. The 4x6" cheapies won't work for thick sheets (say 1/4" aluminum 12" x 12") and I already have a saw to cut bar stock. The cheapest thing I can find is this:

It's $1200 on Amazon (shipping included). It's a lot less than the cheapest Grizzly vertical metal saw (G8144 $2025 w. shipping) and I don't plan on using it for wood. It seems like somebody should be selling a 14" saw for metal that would be maybe a $100 more than the wood saws, but I can't find anything like that. I want to cut up to maybe 3/4" aluminum plates and maybe some steel. I have 2 questions: Are there cheaper option for what I want? Is this saw up to the task? (since wood/metal combo saws often are not well regarded)

Reply to
lens

Grant Erwin

I might be inclinded to give Palgren the extra $200. I bought a Wilton Disc/belt sander for about $250 and though it works well, I was dissappointed to later see a Delta model that looks exactly the same for less than half the price. They both had plastic guards and I could see almost no difference between Delta SA180 and Wilton Wilton 4002. My bias now is that Wilton is overpriced, but Palmgren may be the same.

Reply to
lens

That is one way, but not the way I'd do it. Keeping the original motor and pulleys, I'd use a jack shaft with two suitable sized pulleys and two belts to get the speed reduced by a factor of ten. Then I'd get a metal cutting blade, some coolant and cut. The modifications should cost you less than $100 so you could have a brand new Wood/Metal bandsaw for $100 more than the price of a wood cutting bandsaw.

| > It's $1200 on Amazon (shipping included). It's a lot less than the | > cheapest Grizzly vertical metal saw (G8144 $2025 w. shipping) and I | > don't plan on using it for wood. It seems like somebody should be | > selling a 14" saw for metal that would be maybe a $100 more than the | > wood saws, but I can't find anything like that. I want to cut up to | > maybe 3/4" aluminum plates and maybe some steel. I have 2 questions: | > Are there cheaper option for what I want? | > Is this saw up to the task? (since wood/metal combo saws often are not | > well regarded) | >

Reply to
Mungo Bulge

The above mentioned palmgren is a generic import saw. I have one. I don't like it much, light duty. It is sold in Canada under the Canwood label. It is a slowed down wood saw. Not rigid enough to cut metal.

Reply to
gary

For $1200 you should be able to find a good used 16" DoAll or Grob that'll cut anything you can lift onto the table.

For instance...

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

If aluminum is really all you want to cut, buy a wood cutting saw. Aluminum is cut at wood cutting speeds, or close.

If you want to cut steel, though, you'll need a metal cutting saw. The speeds for cutting steel are so much slower that it is not practical to get there with step pulleys or a jackshaft or anything similar. You need a gearbox. It is that gearbox that adds so much to the cost of a metal cutting saw. And it is not simpy a case of slowing the blade down - you need more torque at the wheel for steel cutting as well. The higher torque is the reason the jackshaft belt drives often work poorly.

By whom are the wood/metal saws not well regarded? Industrial users, maybe? No, they don't compare to a DoAll or a Marvel or a Grob. If you need the capabilities of one of those, then buy one. But you haven't said whether you're going to be spending several hours a day with it, or an hour or so a month. Do you need coolant? Power feed?

I have a Delta 14" wood/metal cutting saw. It's handled everything I've ever thrown at it, up to maybe 2" steel, 2" aluminum, 12" wood. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who wanted to cut steel all day long, however.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

I recently bought an old Delta. Cost less than 1/2 of a new wilton and works much better than using my 4x6 cutoff saw in vertical mode.

I considered a used doall but the weight made it too much to handle.

Reply to
Chuck Sherwood

I second John's opinion. I also have a Delta Wood/Metal saw and it works well on alum at top speed(3000fpm) It is not a Doall, but is about perfect as a general purpose band saw for a home shop.

Randy

Reply to
R. O'Brian

Reply to
David Billington

Yeah, but they're heavy. I bought a licensed copy of a Grob 18" wood/metalcutting bandsaw with blade welder for $600 AUD. Fast enough for wood, low speed range suitable for stainless and inconel etc. Guesstimated its weight at 300kg. Hah. Closer to 500, I reckon.

Now it's in the shop and on a castor base, I don't care about the weight but getting it into the shop by myself, off of soft sloping ground, was - err - interesting.

Agree about the utility versus one of the import saws 100%. It's a great machine and once I master the blade welder I can pretty much be independent of the local shops.

PDW

Reply to
Peter Wiley