Chronos Wooden Tool Chest - Any Good?

Hi All.

I'm considering getting one of the wooden toolmakers tool chests from Chronos, and would appreciate opinions. Are they well made and built to last? Are the brass bits solid brass, or brass plated/coloured? Do the drawers run smoothly? Are there any other UK sources worth looking at, either for the same product, or something similar?

Cheers.

Reply to
Wally

RDG do a similar one

jasonballamy

Gday Wally I suspect if they are made in China they are just plain timber dyed with timber drawers and sides in them that is finger jointed.The hinges were plated not solid The brand I looked was Kingchrome( in OZ) ,but I suspect they are a mass produced item that each mob stamps their brand on.

Your really need to get a lok or at least a vey close up photo. Cheers Ozwelder

Reply to
Ozwelder

Looks like the same one, but RDG are more expensive than Chronos.

Reply to
Wally

Yes, not unlike the mini lathes and micro mills.

I did manage to find some decent photos - Chronos have an eBay presence with good pics (link might wrap)...

The timber doesn't look the greatest - can see where the strips have been scarf jointed and, at the top right, there's an off-colour smudge that looks a tad like filler. The fittings do look brassy, but are rather tarnished for a new item, so I'm tempted to agree that they're plated and 'aged'.

At 100 quid new, it doesn't look too bad for the money, provided it's solid and the bits all work.

Reply to
Wally

I've seen them on stalls at a few steam fairs ... a lot cheaper ;) And you get the chance to 'pick and choose' the best one ...

Reply to
Lester Caine

No idea if there are likely to be any steam fairs near me. If you had a play with them, what do you think of the build quality, and was there much variation between them?

Reply to
Wally

I've got one. Its made from some unidentifiable hardwood, stained and varnished. The drawer joints are simple t/g, not dovetails and the metal bits are some sort of patinated metal which looks like antique bronze, but isn't. The drawers slide smoothly enough but are a bit sloppy. Mine arrived with a crack at one corner joint but a bit of epoxy and a sash cramp fixed the problem quicker than returning it. The drawers and top compartment are nicely baize lined.

I suspect if you were planning to fill one with tools and heave it around on site it would not last very well. I've been perfectly happy with mine standing on the bench and holding all my small tools.

As with all of these Chinese things you are paying less than a third of what a "proper" one would cost. Even Gerstner chests are now made in China and use plated steel fittings. You get what you pay for - if you want real quality it will cost a lot new, though they do come up on e-bay fairly regularly.

Reply to
Norman Billingham

Wally. You know you want it, yet you also know it will be absolute crap, so spare yourself any more anguish and buy it.. It's the only way to get it out of your system and learn that cheap equals rubbish

Cliff Coggin.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

I went with a nice metal one from Machine Mart and fitted the draws out with anti-slip matting ;) But they were on special so the price was very attractive.

Reply to
Lester Caine

The real ones crop up regularly on eBay for £60 - 120. Keep a search email going on 'Toolmaker'. Union, Gerstner, M&W etc all crop up weekly.

I bought a collect-only M&W for £50 from 40 miles away that came with most of the contents. My wife wants a more polished one for her craft knick-cnacks.

Looks nice but for storing my micrometers near the lathe I prefer my metal drawed equivalent. Bill H Derby

Reply to
Bill H