Lost wood casting

I had a crack at something new today with amazing results.
Lost wood casting.
On a hunch I invested a magnolia seedpod in plaster/silica/glassfibre
investment, burnt the pod out in a kiln and poured metal in the
resulting cavity in the investment. For pictures of the result have a
look here

I'm going to try this pod in copper and bronze next, and try casting
a machine part this way. The photo's don't really show it but the
detail is incredible.
Gregg
Reply to
greggspen
What was the burn out time, and how large was the seed pod. how did you determine the amout of metal required. have heard of people casting pine cones, orchid flowers and other organics, but have not had the opportunity to try yet.
Thanks for the additional information OM
Reply to
ol3_m3
I know that this is juvenile and not funny but, I cast the dice and lost my ass.
I've done insects in silver that came out well. Who's the handsome guy in the pix? Safety glasses and other gear would detract from that rugged image, I understand...a few good scars WOULD impress the girls! (nice work)
Reply to
Tom Gardner
What can I say about safety. Chicks dig scars bones heal, you've got two eyes so 50/50 chance you'll still have some vision at the end of a bad days casting. Actually not my usual practice to not wear protection.
burn out was 685 celcius 50 degrees per hour ramp and a two hour soak time. The refractory really needs the glassfibre reinforcing as it becomes as brittle as heck.
Reply to
greggspen