Lost Foam Metal Casting - Web Update

I've just posted yet another LFMC saga at

What I really need is some sort of industrial engineer to take me by
the hand, wipe away my tears and set me straight on the facts about
LFMC... 3 years ago when I started LF Casting it seemed too good to be
true... by my experience I think that it has been over hyped...
Frank

Frank
What metal are you casting? If it's aluminum, and if you're getting lots of bubbles, have you tried degassing the melt? - GWE
Reply to
Grant Erwin
news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...
I think his problem is bubbles under the plaster, and being too picky about them. ( ;)
Tim
"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Reply to
Tim Williams
I've seen bubbles in plaster removed in a vacuum chamber (on a This Old House episode where they do a factory tour of an investment casting place). I've only poured one casting ever in my life, though, so I'm no expert.
Reply to
Tim Wescott
Yeah. Good way to do it, but rather difficult with a foam pattern :o
You ever see when they send a styrofoam cup along with Alvin or whichever deep sea explorer vessel, and when it comes back it's a dixie cup? Same effect, opposite direction.
Tim

Tim Williams
(sound of hand slapping forehead)
But you could at least vacuum out the bubbles before you poured your plaster.
Reply to
Tim Wescott
Doug White
Reply to