Clisby: Your opinion

Hi,
I'm looking for a small benchtop lathe and mill
Are Clisby lathe and mill tools or a toys?
I'm aware they are only for very small parts.
Reply to
nyffeler
Clisby designed the very popular Sherline range, which is similar, but bigger. They work very well, so the Clisby tools should be OK. It's also worth looking at the Taig lathe and mill - not as pretty but more robust.
Leon
Reply to
Leon Heller
Besides being very small, the Clisby has sleeve bearings. I'm not saying they aren't adequate to the job, but most people expect better these days.
Ron Thompson On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space Center, USA

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. --Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)
Reply to
Ron Thompson
I just looked at the web site, and they have ball bearings now in the headstock.
Leon
Reply to
Leon Heller
--If you want a good, but small lathe get a Levine. Have deep pockets...
Reply to
steamer
Levins cost upwards of $8,000 new though you'll probably find one used for a whole lot less. I've played with the Sherline stuff and liked it a bunch. I'd go that direction if I were going small in my current downwardly mobile state raising two teenagers... You might want to get yourself a copy of Joe Martin's book "Tabletop Machining" to whet your appetite.
Charles Morrill
Reply to
Charles Morrill
Thanks! Where can I find Levine on the net?
Reply to
nyffeler
Works better when its spelled correctly. Levin
Gunner. Who may have a source for about 5 decent used ones, each with a fair amount of tooling in So. Cal.
"Gunner, you are the same ridiculous liberal f--k you ever where." Scipio
Reply to
Gunner
Btw..when you click on the Products link? Be sitting down, with no liquids in your mouth, when viewing pricing..... If you have a weak heart, have a responsible adult in the room with you.
> >Gunner. Who may have a source for about 5 decent used ones, each with >a fair amount of tooling in So. Cal. > >"Gunner, you are the same ridiculous liberal f--k you ever where." > Scipio
Reply to
Gunner
It would be good for your health to look at this page before asking prices of a Schaublin
It prevents you to get a heart attack.
Reply to
nyffeler
Then I shouldnt have given my 102 away?