Steel Burnishing Process (OD of part)

Burnishing a 35/64" mild steel (solid 8620) rod.

Using a tool that burnishes the OD of the rod.

Running approximately 800 RPM.

Anyone have an idea of the HP required for such a process taking the maximum load into consideration?

I'm thinking that it can be done with low HP since I do a 2" ID burnishing process by hand... But I have no experience with burnishing the OD of a steel part so I come to the local experts for help...

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Joe - just curious as I have an application where I need to improve the surface finish. What tool and technique is used to burnish the ID? What tool will you be using to burnish the OD?

Ed

Reply to
ed

Ed,

Cogsdill is what we personally use:

Sugino also makes them, but at a higher cost and not quite the same reputation - plus they're my competitor when it comes to drills and multiple spindle heads.

Seriously though, Cogsdill has worked perfectly for us for 8+ years. No problems. No maintenance. No worries.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

More specifically,

Joe AutoDrill

Should be about the same. To scale it up/down, multiply by diameter. If more rolls, lineary more power.

As you already have one, measure the torque, scale it ...

Ups! Sorry!

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller