Interesting dilemma

We have a scenic view from our house of the old CPR mainline in New Brunswick, Canada, This part of of the Railroad is now owned by Southern New Brunswick Railways, a small enough outfit to be able to be rather casual sometimes. They often park the train and come over to the local diner for breakfast.

Last night I heard a locomotive idling for a longer than normal time. There was a train parked at the beginning of the bridge behind our house. One Loco and as it turned out seven flatcars. Each flatcar carried a steel tank on its side, loaded on steel beams and timber chocks. Each of four tanks took up the full length of a flatcar, the other three each took up about two thirds the length. The tanks looked to be about sixteen feet in diameter- I would guess a third of their diameter was higher than the loco. These things are big!

Well, it turns out that somebody didn't do their homework. As each car was slowly brought up to the end of the bridge, everything stopped and inches were cut off of the steel beams under the tanks that projected out either side. The train moved forward 'till the rear of the car approached the bridge and the process was repeated. They shut down at about ten last night with the train half over the bridge and finished up the job this morning. I'm told the tanks were on their way by rail from Saint John to Harvey, then by truck to the pulp mill at Nackawic. I expect a few overhead wires will have to be cut! I would have thought overall maximum width would have been an essential spec. for the crew who did the loading!

Reply to
John Hall

"Common sense isn't very common."

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Luckily, the crew was casual enough to be observant independent thinkers. Otherwise, your view might include a new bridge.

--Andy Asberry--

------Texas-----

Reply to
Andy Asberry

Yes indead.

There are routing guides that show te maximum clearances on al the lines in the US and Caqnada. Then there are people that verify the load will make the trip, including taking certain sidings tha might have more clearance then the main.

In this case either someone did not verifiy the max width of the load, or forgot to check the clearance on this section of track.

You are right that some good railroad men looked and saw that things did not look correct and fixed the problem before destroying the bridge.

Howard Garner

Reply to
Howard R Garner

Reminds me of shipping tanks by road. Tanks are 10ft 1in dia, trailer is 3ft

2in high, bridges over NYS thruway are 13ft 6in, or were, before repaving 4 or 5 times. It only took 3 tanks before we learned.

Gary Owens

Reply to
Gary Owens

Were you the guys that hit the bridge overpass on Rt. 17 near Goshen many years ago? The company that hit it sued and won. The bridge was at an oblique angle and on the side of a grade. They never ever had the right clearance in the left lane.

John

Reply to
John

Of course not. That would be for the right lane.

Reply to
Doug Miller

In the 80's there were 3 major companies shipping large tanks in the NE. One from Mass, one from PA and us from Central NY. I think all the overpasses must have hit once or twice. NYS never understood that 13'6" meant 13'6" not

13'3" or 13'2", and don't even talk about adding packed snow on top of that. I know we sued the thruway authority a few times. I don't miss the NE

Gary Owens Sunny (& smokey) Florida

Reply to
Gary Owens

John Hall wrote: > [edited for brevity]

There is absolutely no dilemma here. You were COMPELLED to go down and pick up the cut offs.

Yup. No doubt about it.

Reply to
Hank Zoeller

Actually, I learned yesterday that what they cut off were brackets, which were then welded back on after they were over the bridge. According to today's paper the tanks are 'digesters' for the pulp industry and are being trucked the remainder of their journey one a day. I.E. roads closed for half a day for seven days.

John

Reply to
John Hall

A big A-Men to that. :-) From Albuquerque (formerly from PA) ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

A competent train crew - good.

Didnt the Challenger Shuttle disaster be caused by the same thing (indirectly) - the boosters were too long to travel by train from Utah, so they made them to train /tunnel/curve length and then used O rings to put them back together at the other end?.....

Andrew VK3BFA.

PS - the boosters were made in Utah because of political chicanery/ pork barreling - they COULD have been made nearby, in Florida, in one piece, and then transported by canal barge.....

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA