Wood splitting smile

After ice storm 1991, a couple friends of mine put in a wood burning stove. There was another storm, a micro burst that blew down a lot of trees. Can't remember what year. But, I hate to see good wood go to the landfill. I borrowed a trailer to pull behind the van, and collected up some good wood. We spent several days sawing.

About that time, he remarked that all we needed now was a splitter. Hmm. See how that goes. As I took the borrowed trailer back to John's, he was at the bus garage, at his church. I remarked thank you for the use of the trailer, and now all I need is a splitter. A voice on the other side of the bus said "I've got a splitter". Without much thought, I asked if I might borrow it for a couple days, and the voice said yes. To my surprise. So, I got his adress, and went there.

He showed me how the splitter worked. It was very under powered. When I got back to my place, I pulled the engine apart, and cleaned the valves. [Metal valves: the metal content of the story.] Put in a new spark plug, and new gasoline. Change the oil. Ran a lot better, then. More power. And so I spent a couple days splitting wood.

Anyhow, as I was taking the splitter back. I stopped at John's garage, and asked if he had anythign to split, while I had the machine. Sure, had some gnarly walnut with the grain all twisted. I put a couple of them on the machine. It struggled a lot, 5 HP gas engine. Even the more power gas engine was straining. But it got the job done.

John told me the rest of the story later. After he sawed up the wood, his friend Corey stopped by. Corey was 19 or so,a nd a very powerful teenager. Sports, and such. So, John asked him to split up that wood out back. Corey whacked on it for a while, and quit. Which is a good use of teenage energy.

So, next week when Corey came back, John tells him "Oh, Chris Young stopped by, and split all that wood." Corey knows I'm twice his age, and the inverse square of his athletic power. I'm sure Corey had a few choice words of disbelief about Chris being able to split the wood. Went out and looked, and came back kind of confused. I'm sure eventually John told him that I'd used a gasoline power splitter.

That's my smile for the day. A good memory.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yep! Gotta humble those teenagers now and then with mechanical stuff or their athletic proclivities will run amuck. Thanx for the nice story.

[...]

Robert Swinney

I got another one from just yesterday. I invited Eli, 13, to go fishing. When we got to the dock, I said,"Let me tie you up" He said, "No, I know how to fish. Don't need your help." OK

Well when we got out there to the honey hole, we were just a bangin' the mangrove snapper. Not the baby boy groves either, MANgroves. Well, I'd get one, Lenny would get, Dave would get one. Then Eli would pull up a grunt. And we'd go around again. Then Lenny started picking on Eli, "Man, you're a good bait fisherman".

After about an hour of this, Eli says" OK, what are you doing, show me how"

I actually taught a kid to listen.

He was a bangin' them with the best of us by the end of the day. I'm sure he won't mention it when he spanks my ass in a couple years

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

A few years back, second son had a tree blow down in the yard of the house he was renting. He came and got out his chain saw from my shed and, after I got it running cut up part of the tree. He left the saw in his pickup overnight and guess what was missing in the morning. Anyhow, I found a saw for $3.00 as a parts machine and spent another $2.00 to get it running. I paid $0.25 for a splitting wedge and after an hour grinding the mushroom off, I set him up in the wood business with the saw, the wedge and a ten pound sledge hammer I got for $2.00 at an estate sale. (lots of metal in this) Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller