Excellent post....

....from rec.pyrotechnics.....

When Worlds of Creation and Destruction Collide By MALCOLM W. BROWNE New York Times 5v99

His diary entry for one day in 1898 read: "Fired cannon, pop and firecrackers all day. in evening had five sky rockets, three Roman candles, one large pinwheel and a Japanese match which I made."

The words were not those of a vengeful delinquent planning a schoolyard

massacre; they were written by a 15-year-old Robert Hutchings Goddard, whose later inventions - liquid rocket fuel, multistage vehicles and rocket gyrostabilizers, among them - opened the way to space travel.

One wonders what would have befallen space science if Goddard and a host of youthful experimenters had been denied access to the very things legislators and others these days are seeking to ban. The fact is, many young people have been drawn to careers in science and engineering partly by spectacular chemical reactions, especially explosions.

Recent school killings have prompted calls for banning almost every potential weapon from flint knives to nuclear bombs. (Somehow the automobile is never included.) But to ban all dangerous substances would be a tall order.

There has never been any lack of explosive materials, and explosives have proliferated at a tremendous rate over the years. A dictionary of explosives in

1900 contained 1,091 entries, whereas the current tally of "satisfactory" explosives (according to an expert at Los Alamos National Laboratory) is about 20,000.

There are those who would favor outlawing all 20,000 of them if it meant keeping children safe. But it's worth remembering that at least some explosives are vital to modern civilization; explosives are needed for mining, building roads, digging foundations, welding pipelines and railroad tracks, actuating automobile air bags, sending rockets to Mars and simulating conditions deep within the atmospheres of giant planets, among countless other thmigs.

During my own childhood in the 1930's and 1940's, dangerous chemicals including explosives and poisons were easy to come by, and yet I cannot

remember a single incident comparable to the disaster in Littleton, Colo., and other recent killings.

Not that kids didn't experiment and play dangerous tricks.

Firearms and explosives (including fireworks) invite mischief, but in the past it was usually of a fairly harmless kind. Farm children of a more relaxed generation than the present one used to annoy dairymen by detonating sticks of dynamite under empty 20-gallon milk cans, sending the cans sailing into the sky. College students delighted in flushing lighted firecrackers down dormitory toilets, causing fountains to erupt from toilets on lower floors. Mild but startling explosions caused by ammonia-moistened iodine crystals scattered around lab benches enlivened many a chemistry class.

Recreational explosions are not necessarily dangerous. Since 1912, the Conestoga Company of Bethlehem, Pa., has been making and selling acetylene cannons that delight children with satisfying bangs free of any risk of injury. But fireworks containing explosive or propellant charges are not harmless; every year children lose fingers or eyes by holding lighted firecrackers or rockets. Moreover, fireworks can be put to criminal purposes. Most of the pipe bombs that have figured in recent terror incidents have been filled with aluminum powder and oxidizers extracted from ordinary firecrackers.

Naturally, people are eager to prevent massacres. The response has been an effort to prevent the trafficking in explosives and guns, and to somehow reprogram children with violent proclivities.

Snuffing out the fire of genius for fear of a few psychopaths. Fireworks are banned (or limited to relatively innocuous pyrotechnic products like sparklers) in 16 states, and each year sees new legislation to prevent substances like ammonium nitrate fertilizer from falling into felonious hands. The sale of old-fashioned black powder, the propellant needed for firing antique weapons, has been sharply curtailed because it has been used in homemade bombs.

As the trend continues, government agencies have also constrained the sale of chemicals so tightly that it is difficult or impossible for most young students to buy them.

Until 1957, when it moved to New Jersey to provide chemicals and apparatus exclusively to manufacturers, the Ace Scientific Supply Company on 11h Street, Manhattan, used to count many neighborhood high school students among its customers. A thicket of regulations eventually blocked such sales, but the com- pany's president, Robert L. Lowenstein, remembered his student customers fondly.

"Many of those young customers made important contributions to science and are now research directors," Mr. Lowenstein said. "I wish something could be done to make chemicals and apparatus more available to students, but I can't see anyway."

Similar regrets are often expressed by older teachers.

Dr. David Weitzman, a professor of biochemistry at the University of Bath, England, wrote in the New Scientist nearly two decades ago that although he had accepted the chairmanship of his university's safety panel, the reduction of laboratory risks had had its down side.

"In the laboratories, we forbid this, don't allow that, and prevent the other ... and we're all safer and less at risk of harm and hazard. Most commendable," he wrote. "But have we, at the same time, removed some of the fun and excitement of laboratory life, the thrill of experimenting with the unknown?"

Dr. Weitzman described some of the risky experiments and procedures once common in student laboratories, including a very hazardous method for cleaning flasks by filling them with an explosive mixture of nitric acid and alcohol.

"These encounters conveyed a sense of intimacy with one's chemical materials," he wrote. "One saw reagents and reactions at their most angry and violent and, having done so, one learnt to tame them and discipline them to do one's own bidding."

He concluded that "perhaps just a little bit of danger might bring a lot more fun and lead to more insight and understanding."

Banning several thousand chemicals as well as timers, pipes, epoxy glue and other items that can be combined as bombs would be one approach to denying bombs to potential criminals. Another would be the reprogramming of violence-prone people to eliminate aggressive impulses; it might be done with psychotherapy, chemical castration or brain surgery.

By selective breeding or gene manipulation, traits associated with aggressive behavior and the creation of sociopaths might be reduced throughout the world, spawning the most well-behaved human race the world has ever seen. A similar result has been achieved in Siberia, where fur breeders have invented a com- pletely docile breed of silver fox -one that licks its keepers' faces while being prepared for slaughter.

But must we really squelch all the things that can contribute to anti-social behavior to protect ourselves from a handful of sociopaths?

Could an aggression-free race produce a Jefferson or Beethoven or Einstein? As we race to eliminate aggressors and their weapons, should we not take care to avoid throwing out the baby with the bath water?

Reply to
lightnpyro

It is not the intention of those in authority to insure that people are getting smarter. In fact what they are trying to do is turn every citizens into mindless idiots. They do not like the idea that some kid can experiment with dangerous stuff and become a great scientist. The reason Pol pot killed

3 million of his citizen is because he wanted all the smart people eliminated and everyone else to work in labor camps. I think that is what our government want to do. They do not want people to become scientists, but rather they want people to become subjects. They did not ban chemicals and stuff to prevent violence, they did it because they didn't want any chance of resistence, and also make sure people do what the government says.

You can be sure things will get worse before they get better...

Reply to
tai fu

Lunar,

You name didn't used to be Jonathon Dunbar, did it?

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

GAAAAAA!!!

RUN AWAY!! RUN AWAY!!

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

"John Dunbar"? The Kevin Costner character from one of the most boring movies ever made?.....

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Oh god...

And awwwwaaaaayyy we go!

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

Uh oh! Tod's gone from channeling Paul Lar vae to jackie Gleason. Rod Serling can't be far behind.

Randy

<randyolb

It may be said with a degree of assurance that not everything that meets the eye is as it appears.

Huh? What? Where am I?

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

"The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs, and explosions, and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, ideas, predjudices, to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, predjudices can kill and suspicion can destroy. A thoughtless, freightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all it's own for the children yet unborn. And the pity of it is, is that these things can not be confined to the Twilight Zone."

Ah, crap! Make it stop.. MAKE IT STOP!

Tod "Gonna try Mel Torme" Hilty

Reply to
hiltyt

(With David Lee Roth fading as he sings California Girls in the background)

For you, the viewer, this is the end of the video.... but for them, it's only, the beginning..........

(Hey! Hey! Girls! Wish they allllll could be California girls......)

Randy

<randyolb

In Taiwan chemical shops (and glassware) are everywhere, often times its just a matter of handing over the cash and walking out with the stuff. And some dangerous ones too (like Iodine, Pot. Permaginate, and things like that... stuff you can get into alot of trouble for even thinking about having in the USA)

Reply to
tai fu

Nope, but I wish as I would be worth a hell of alot more money if I was! :)

Reply to
lunarlos

Sir: Why don't you take your facist filth, and post it to another news group?

Reply to
Josephfromri

Actually I thought it was a good article up until the last four paragraphs, and it may be that those were simply an example of reductio ad absurdum (if I remember my years-ago logic class correctly.)

And anyway, if you were so opposed to it why did you quote the entire article for a one line response?

Mark E. Hamilton NAR #48641-SR ARSA #418

Reply to
Mark Hamilton