Does coax or ethernet leak under water pressure?

Looking for ways to run signals& power to from a low cost ROV operating in less than 100 ft. of fresh lake water. My main concern is leaks in the cable causing shorts. Has anyone
actually tried running off-the-shelf cable down to these depths? and how well did it work?

I suggest you sign up to the Yahoo group RobotROV.
Cat5 cable can be used and I've developed a commercial system that uses a 200ft+ Cat5 cable as the tether with no problems.
You can only send 700mA down each core in the cable though (and over long distances you can encounter massive losses/voltage drops)
Michael
Submarines use 10KHZ ...
Depth sounders use 50khz to 125khz .
Thanks for all the replies!
Could you clarify regarding "Submarines use 10KHZ ...Depth sounders use 50khz to 125khz." Are you talking about VLF radio, audio through water, or frequencies on coax cable?

Where'd I say that?
Michael
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Many understand werty; few understand his words.