Does coax or ethernet leak under water pressure?

Looking for ways to run signals& power to from a low cost ROV operating in less than 100 ft. of fresh lake water. My main concern is leaks in the cable causing shorts. Has anyone actually tried running off-the-shelf cable down to these depths? and how well did it work?

Reply to
rolfedh

I suggest you sign up to the Yahoo group RobotROV.

Cat5 cable can be used and I've developed a commercial system that uses a

200ft+ Cat5 cable as the tether with no problems.

You can only send 700mA down each core in the cable though (and over long distances you can encounter massive losses/voltage drops)

Michael

Reply to
Michael

Submarines use 10KHZ ...

Depth sounders use 50khz to 125khz .

Reply to
werty

Thanks for all the replies!

Could you clarify regarding "Submarines use 10KHZ ...Depth sounders use 50khz to 125khz." Are you talking about VLF radio, audio through water, or frequencies on coax cable?

Reply to
rolfedh

Where'd I say that?

Michael

Reply to
Michael

Many understand werty; few understand his words.

Reply to
D Herring