Why no NURBS in SW

hey thanks for that i use solidworks primarily for mechanical design which is what it is pretty good at when we do industrial design curvy we use alias studio tools which i was told was the best surfacer out there

that was really the reasoning for the question why would you need nurbs in solidworks solidworks from what ive seen is not an a class surfacing app so why use it as such

cliff really does make me lol i read his posts and think hes verging on genius

Reply to
mikemcdermid

Mike,

The biggest problem with using a surface styling program, for product design, is that you can't complete the "whole" design with it. Things like bosses, ribs, mechanical attacments, etc, are impractical in such systems for many reasons. Whether you use Alias or Rhino for styling, you still have to import the shape data into another system to complete it. This breaks the continuity of the data, and makes many things (like design changes) clumsy and hard to manage.

Ideally, you want to use the same system for all phases of a design. This is why so many people are asking for this capability inside SW.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
MM

What's YOUR excuse? You don't even use ANY 3D CAD, CAD/CAM or CAM system.

Reply to
Cliff Huprich

YOU have NEVER used any of those either. The endless BS marches on.

Reply to
Cliff Huprich

And manufacturing. And sales . Look at all the places folks like GM or Boeing or GE or ... use the data.

Reply to
Cliff Huprich

Cliff, Not to rain on your unemployed parade Cliff but we established that you have also never bought any CAM software in alt.machines.cnc. You were an aerospace worker who rode the US Governments gravy train for a long time before you became unemployed. If you are gonna dish BS out about other people, be prepared to hear the truth back about yourself. What part of what I just said NOT true? You whine is so damned old by now Cliff. PLEASE, get some new material. Michael

Reply to
Michael

No, you did not .

Nope. Guess again.

Poor jb is full of the BS. I just call him on it. As have so very, very many others. But you have had your own (sizable) share IIRC.

Oh? LOL ....

Take some guesses. You like to do that anyway IIRC .

As soon as jb provides it.

Why don't you help him with his (claimed) BobCad DOS 2D circle problems?

Reply to
Cliff Huprich

Jon re-read this again. You ignorant fool

I dont need to know any more about your think3 sales pitch, I have seen it,tried it, and it is not for me. The experience that I had with the company left such a bad taste in my mouth that I would rather go back to drafting than use it. They offered me a trial version of the program for 3 months and after the 3 months they wanted to charge me for it, even though I told them that I did not want to use it. The next month I see a charge on the credit card from them. Will not get into specifics but damm short of flying to CA to beat their azz, is alomost what it took to get them to give me the $$$ back.

Now cut the shit and stay out of this. You dont like SW, you dont contribute positively to the NG so stay the hell out. There is no reason for you to post.

Reply to
Arthur Y-S

a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

into a debate with them.

+1
Reply to
Jean Marc BRUN

I stopped right about here. :>)

Your really should try thinkdesign / thinkshape, Art.

I think you will love it !

jon

Reply to
jon banquer

The reading comprehension disability kicked right in again, right?

And the first time he posted the exact same thing as well ..

Why do you always try to prove me right? I really don't need it .

Reply to
Cliff Huprich

The best you can do is filter and ignore them. Of course, you still get the echoes unless everyone joins in but it really does take the edge off.

My guess is that the guy simply has nothing better to do with his time. Cliff too. They live to see their own posts and peoples' reactions to them. Can you imagine investing this much time posting to a NG for a product that you don't even use? These guys have serious problems. Obsessive, useless, and pathetic.

JJ

Reply to
JJ

Since becoming unemployed/unemployable some years ago, your ONLY purpose in life is to antagonize people that you feel comfortable picking on. Typical TROLL behavior. FWIW folks, Cliff is a current Win95 power user. Michael

Reply to
Michael

now thats the problem i had with alias

like i said previously mechanical design is what we do most if its formed sheet metal ie pressed panels we do bits in solidworks using surfacing

now when we had alias demoed to us the guy showed us it was possible to assemble a surfaced outer shell to a mechanical assembly which was imported from our cad data

now am i correct in saying then that studio tools is purely for a styling studio or for industrial design companies only to produce models of curvy stuff or can you actually get any manufacturing data from it

is this the same for rhino because if so its ahell of a lot cheaper than studio

now as we get deeper into more free form design we were told this was the best tool for the job

do think we have been robbed or ill advised admittedly we can hold our own when it comes to the whys and why nots of mech cad apps but free form design is a relatively new area which we are finding we are having to get more involved in to satisfy client needs and we dont really know wht the best option was

Reply to
mikemcdermid

Mike,

Wrong direction, you want bring the styled "shape" into SW (or whatever). Then you can split it, shell it, add bosses and ribs, etc, etc.........

In the old days (pre solids) everything was done with surfacing, so to say you can't do a complete design with them wouldn't be true. Can it be done efficiently (by modern standards)....no way.

As far as manufacturing, all of the true surface geometry you create in Alias can be machined. The quality of the translators (IGES, STEP, etc.) comes into play here.

On the other side of the coin, SW is quite capable of producing very complex organic shapes. The problem is, the methodology is over the heads of many artsy I.D. types. Traditional surfacing tools, typically, have a less constrained, more freeform "feel" to them.

I don't know what you do, so I can't answer. What I "do" know is that we have done hundreds of swoopy, curvy, product designs using just SW. So have many others in this NG. There are several third party surfacing add-ins that you probably should have tried first.

Like I said, I don't know what types of designs you do. I can say that for most things, Alias is probably overkill. Especially for a small company.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
MM

And AOL . For over a decade ...... Works fine for Email & Usenet ..... nice little old stand-alone (Used to be DOS 3.1 or something ) ... better than all the expensive software Michael has to buy & keep updated .... he's quite confused about viruses, worms & SPAM it seems

Reply to
Cliff Huprich

ROTFLMAO

Reply to
Michael

You're beginning to sound more and more like your bud jb

Reply to
Gary Knutson

A SolidWorks newsgroup filled with more people with actual machining experience who know what tools they really need to get the job done quickly and efficiently ???

More Industrial Designers who actually know what tools they need to have in SolidWorks ???

Perish the thought !

Horrors and scary monsters !

Yikes !

jon

Reply to
jon banquer

FREE Clue: SolidWorks is not a CAM program for MDI machine operators.

Clue #2: jb actually does little to no programming anyway, not even being able to do simple 2D trig. Much less any 3D CAM programming.

Clue #3: I don't think he's even allowed near GREEN buttons.

Like the ones that actually use it? Much unlike yourself, useless troll?

Mirror, mirror ...

Seen the latest ads for product announcements for intended demos for 2007 yet?

BTW, Like the slightly updated

Cliff Huprich