POLL :splines/surfacing use

Hi all I would like to estimate the percentage of all users who actively work with spline/surfacing tools- please tag onto this post - choose best description of your use as:

1.never
  1. rarely
3.sometimes 4.often 5.all the time

also please indicate your satisfaction with the present tools:

a.happy enough b.frustrated

thanks neil

Reply to
neil

"I would like to estimate the percentage of all users who actively work with spline/surfacing tools-"

I don't use them because I know better. Since I'm not forced to use SolidWorks, I intend to stay as far away from SolidWorks surfacing as I can until either major innovations appear in D-Cubed products and are implemented into SolidWorks or until the ACIS kernel is installed in SolidWorks.

"also please indicate your satisfaction with the present tools:"

Their a bad joke and I genuinely feel sorry for people who have to work with them and support them. Life is difficult enough without this kind of needless and senseless frustration.

Thank you for the opportunity to comment even though you hate my guts and I'm in your newsgroup filter. :>) That you have to start a poll like this tells me that for years I have been on the right track as far as what is needed for SolidWorks. I sincerely hope relief is on the way. All it would take is an announcement from SolidWork Corp. that ACIS will be the main modeling kernel in SolidWorks for the 2005 release and that the ACIS surfacing routines will be implemented to make me happy.

Hope my comments help you in your efforts to get the needed tools implemented. The needed tools are not something that SolidWorks Corp. can create on their own.

jon

description

Reply to
jon banquer
5 .
Reply to
Cliff Huprich

Amazing. Truth from jb at long last.

Reply to
Cliff Huprich
4c

c = I understand how the tools work, and 90% of the time I can get them to do what I need them to do (10% of the time I have to fake something)

If I did this all the time and was truly frustrated, I would certainly find something else that suited my way of working rather than just acting victimized.

"neil" wrote in news:7XAtb.3435$ snipped-for-privacy@news.xtra.co.nz:

Reply to
matt

I'll record that as a 4a then. this poll relates to the tools within SW and I trust people to give honest opinion about it - it seems quite constructive to me -

Reply to
neil
4b

There are quirks in surfacing. I use it primarily for splitting bodies and creating shell models for FEA. Splines I don't use much.

My frustrations are primarily with trimming surfaces to each other and having to do things in a particular order or it won't work. I can never quite be sure ahead of time that a surface model can be made to represent the geometry I am trying to model.

Ditto with splitt> Hi all

Reply to
kellnerp
3b

( I liked Matt's addition of the `c' choice, and feel that my level of satisfaction fits that category a bit better. I'd rather say 3c in that case, but since you're not giving us that choice I'll stick with my initial answer.

description

Reply to
John Kreutzberger
4b

description

Reply to
Chris

well sorry to box you in John ....I cant really understand how if you can do all you want presently (or fake it) and would use another program if you couldn't, you would describe that as frustrated!? surely you are happy enough?

at least im getting off my chuff and getting people to participate rather than ranting and 'acting victimised....cant please everyone....

Reply to
neil
5b

..

neil wrote:

Reply to
Paul Salvador
3b

Regards

Jonathan Stedman

Would work more in surfaces and complex shapes if more certain of getting to the end in the bookable time available. But then again not all curvy stuff is aesthetically good. Bring back Mies and Dieter Rams and the straight line. All is forgiven.

Reply to
jjs
5b

description

Reply to
Lee Bazalgette

which spline function(s) would you like? we already have some in our SolidSketch add-in, planning to add more such as:

- easier creation of (constrained) 3D splines (wire harnesses)

- setting the length of a spline

- generic helix (any profile along any curve, variable pitch)

Reply to
Philippe Guglielmetti
1a "A" only because I don't use it, I presume.

WT

description

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany
3B

Can't offset a spline. Also I do not feel that it is very intuitive as far as how to control a spline. The later maybe lack of knowledge.

description

Reply to
SWuser

I think that my position is that I can almost always manage to do what is needed using the trickery which comes with experience. My frustration stems from the fact that I just wish it were easier. I did think for some time whether that was an `a' or a `b'. I decided on `b', but based on this more detailed description- please feel free to adjust your tally accordingly.

jk

Reply to
John Kreutzberger

yes but you forgot to vote Mr Dynabits : )

Reply to
neil