BOM HELP!

in my bom I am trying to assign a part # and a Description to my bom. is there a way in sw explorer to change the part number to the specifid number? right now I have to open up the file go to the config manager and right click the config properties and change the Part 3 to what I need. its a lot of work to do this. Is there a way to link the description to the file name?

Thanks

Nathan

Reply to
Nathan Feculak

$PRP:"SW-File Name" Put this in your custom properties and it will give the File name. That way you wouldn't have to type each file name. We set up our parts with these fields

Description "Part Description" (used in uplevel assembly BOM) Material# "Internal Material#" (used in Part Drawing) Description2 "Part Description with multiple Lines" (First Line is the same as Description, Used in Part Drawing Title)

our partNO is in most cases the File name of the part. in select cases this is not so. Mostly hardware. then we use User Specified Name for partnumber displayed in BOM you can set this on your Config specific params.

On part files if your Description is not set on config specific the BOM will pickup the File Description field. This is also how it works on other fields.

I don't know if I came even close to answering your question.

Regards Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

"On part files if your Description is not set on config specific the BOM will pickup the File Description field. This is also how it works on other fields."

Do I have to go into each part to up date this or is it possible to do this from SW explorer? In SW explorer I went under Properties and typed in my description for my parts as well as added Part No. all my description sowed up in my bom but only the PartNo that I put in to by opening up the part showed up in the bom the rest stayed the same.

Reply to
Nathan Feculak

You can open the parts in SW Explorer and add the config info. But once you edit a cell you have to hit Modify and then hit Apply or it will not make the change.

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

I did that but it did not update the BOM under the Part No collum. It seems like I have to open each part in my assembly go to the config manager and right click config properties and change it under the what the part number should be despalied for BOM andenter a value under the the user defined drop down. This is very time consuming. how can I link the info that I put in the properties folder to the Part No collum in the bom?

Thanks

Nathan

Reply to
Nathan Feculak

You could rename it in your bom template. If you rename the cell (not the text in the cell, rather it's title) say from "PartNO" to "Part Number" you could then add this cell through SW Explorer and the BOM would pick it up. You want to edit the template in Excel and then reload the BOM on your sheet. Other wise you will have to open every part. Another way to speed things up is if you have someone who knows how to make Macros or VB apps to possibly automate the task. Then it could run all night long and you come in in the morning (depending on how many part files you have) and the task is done.

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

Hi Nathan,

I think you are looking for a tool like our "ToolWorks BOM Manager".

ToolWorks BOM Manager provides an easy to use BOM manager and export tool inside SolidWorks. ToolWorks BOM Manager brings the power of the Bill of Material into a single content editor interface.

ToolWorks BOM Manager collects your bill of material (BOM) content into a single user interface and lets you edit and manage the content of your BOM from a single interface, supporting the power of configuration specific properties inside SoildWorks. ToolWorks BOM Manager lets you export your SoildWorks bill of material to a number of common formats like: Microsoft Excel®, eXtended Markup Language XML or comma-separated TXT files. ToolWorks BOM Manager makes it possible to communicate your SolidWorks bill of material to an external system like ERP or MRP.

Download a free 30-day trial from

On our website this tool is called "ToolWorks BOM Export". We are releasing a new version during December under the new name "ToolWorks BOM Manager".

Best regards Jess G. Frandsen

Reply to
Jess G. Frandsen