Materials & Weights for Toolbox parts (to BOM)

I'm working on a standardized BOM system for my company.

For now it looks like I'm stuck using the Toobox, warnings from others notwithstanding.

Is there any way to designate a material for these parts once brought into an assembly, and a weight property similar to other parts?

I've come up with a pretty straighforward BOM system, but the inability to designate these two properties for my fasteners has me buggered.

Well, that and the fact that I can't seem to find a way to get a default description for a class of fastener (such as "HVY HEX NUT" for Heavy Hex nuts). And the part numbers provided are stupid, which means you're editing these as well...

But I think I can live with that if the material & weight issues can be addressed.

Thanks,

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Tom,

You can apply a material to the toolbox parts by browsing out to the location of your toolbox item. But before opening it remove the read-only properties to that you have right acess. Then you can apply the material like you would with any other solidworks part. Save it and then make sure to put the read-only acess back on. You can also use this method to put specific properties in toolbox items also. There may be an easier way but this is what has worked for us.

If you want to have a custom description and part-number for your fasteners you just need to right click the fastener in your assembly and select Edit Toolbox Definition or when bringing in a new tool box item it will give you the same screen. You can select the radio buttons to list by part number or description. Then click Add. This bring you to another screen where you can give it the custom description and part number. However keep in mind that toolbox will not allow you to assign the same part number for a different screw for obvious reasons. We use an acess database to keep track of part numbers otherwise it could get kinda confusing.

Hope that this helps!

Jon

Reply to
jksolid

Jon:

Thanks. However, I don't want to overwrite the original part definition, so what I think we'll do is save the part to he directory tree of the project, and then assign the properties to the copied out part. This allows us to choose between say, a grade 5 fasteer and a grade 8. Part no's don't really work with us, but one stupid thing about the way they do theirs is taking up three part numbers just to designate a different thread display! duh...

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Tom,

I know this won't help your immediate problem.....but.....

I've had an SPR issued that will allow the same part number to be issued to identical geometry. Also, I've got another SPR regarding the ability to import configuration properties using the toolbox import function. And the third item is to follow the ASME naming convention when filling in the description of the fastener.

Len

Reply to
lmar

Welcome to zero effort PDM. With this new tools, data mining, document publishing and archiving are completely automated. SolidReflection is the perfect companion for SolidWorks users who are more interested in design than managing information and documents. Major Features

  • Easy to setup and c> I'm working on a standardized BOM system for my company.
Reply to
3dcaddworks

This switch has existed for years. Where'd you get an "spr" number from? Toolbox menu, Browser Configuration, Part Numbers, "Allow duplicate part numbers for geometrically equal components"

Hmmm, you can do this too. Tools, Options, Data Options, then select some part type in the window on the left, then you have to scroll the list of tabs on the right all the way over to the far right, and select "All Configurations", hit "Export" and it puts out an Excel file of all the data, but not in a Design Table form the way it might be useful, but anyway you can put property info in and reimport. I agree that this is pretty obscure, but this is exactly why we need to get away from a database for toolbox.

Reply to
matt

Matt,

Having the switch and working the way its suppose to are two different things. I had a nice 1/2 hour converstation with SW technical support last week where I was able to demonstrate the problems.

They did additional tests and determined that there were issues that needing corrective action.

Hence the SPR's to "fix" the existing functions.

As for Toolbox being in a database form -- there is nothing wrong with this type of implementation if it is done correctly. The sad part is not a whole lot has changed since Toolbox was purchased from Cimlogic years ago. Its another one of those SW applications that marketing says is "close enough" --- with the resulting productivity hit by general users who then have to fix or try to work around these fundamental flaws.

This is a prime example of why programmers and marketing types should have to use the program in the "real world". One or two days of putting up with this "BS" would have these problems corrected in no time.

My toolbox pet peeves:

  1. Why does SW think that nobody will ever assign a material to a fastener?
  2. Why does SW think that nobody uses o-rings, snap rings, or star washers?
  3. Why does SW think that nobody will ever need to order fasteners from a BOM where proper callouts are needed (Take a look at configuration names). Machinist handbook has standards for nomenclature as well as ANSI/ISO standards for proper fastener callouts - why not use them?
  4. I really don't care if I represent a fastener using simple, detailed, or schematic representation - they all need to be called the same thing and use the same number. Why does SW think we are putting hardware in an assembly?

Len

Reply to
lmar

Len, My pet peeves are yours, you really nailed it, and Matt thanks again for you input & insight.

To the software guy, well, I understand you're just like me, out there trying to make a buck. It's probably a good program. ButVER, EVER EVER tell me a piece of software is "zero effort." NEVER. Don't do it. Can't happen. Further, when you've been at this as long as I have (and I know how to keypunch, pal), you get weary of performance promises, weary of having to buy (and configure, and learn) yet another piece of software that will have to be kept up alongside Solidworks, when, for the love of God, this very basic, very pivotal functionality should have been there from the get-go. God knows they want enough money for it. 3 stinking CD's full of code and the biggest problem with it is the most important part.

For Pete's sake, there's any one of an number of programs that will make pretty shaded 3D geometry. And I'm the FEA guy here, but so what about CosmosWorks? If I'm off 1000 psi, it's probably no biggie. But at the end of the day, I have to have a drawing with a bill of material that's spot-on corrrect.

Sheesh. Happy Monday everyone.

Tom

Reply to
Tom