Custom Properties in Toolbox Parts

I have not used toolbox very much, but now need to. I would like to add custom properties (size, description, and material) to the parts. I have managed to get them into the dialogue, but they do not propogate to the BOM. When I reopen the "Edit toolbox Definition" dialogue the information I entered is gone. How can I get this to work. The solidworks tech support says I may have to have my own library to do this.

How are you handling toolbox parts in BOM's?

Bryan Compton sw2k7 sp1.0 x64

Reply to
compton

Ok, just to get it straight, you mean your reseller told you to do that, right? SW Corporate guys know better, but many reseller AEs are chumps, especially when it comes to things like Toolbox.

The stock corporate answer you should have received is to add properties via the interface at (through the menus) Toolbox, Configure, Properties. Enter the properties you want to populate in the upper left, and optionally you can make selection lists so people don't key in the wrong thing. You can even assign default values. This is a big improvement over the old way, but it still has the biggest weakness of the old method: you cannot pre-mass-populate (a la design table configuration method), you have to assign properties for each individual fastener in the PropertyManager interface that shows up when you size a toolbox part, as they are created.

They keep trying with this product, and it improves in tiny increments.

Anyway, to get properties into the BOM you have to have a BOM set up with special columns to accept the properties. The Help should be able to help you out with that. In the help, go to the Index tab and enter bill of materials, custom properties.

Reply to
matt

Thanks Matt, I have been doing this process as you have described, but when I add the properties in the property manager interface they are not retained. I have the BOM columns set up for my custom properties. It works for parts I have created.

matt wrote:

Reply to
compton

Mayy,

Please tell me that you will be doing a Toolbox talk at SWW this year. Pretty please with a cherry on top?!?

Muggs

matt wrote:

Reply to
Muggs

Have you got your parts set to read only? Are you setting the properties at the same time that you create them? have you got the Don't Prompt to Save Read-Only Parts setting turned on? How about the Allow Separate Configurations for Equivalent Geometry (or however its worded) option?

I'm not saying this is a great way to do things. I'm a big fan of having your own library specifically because Toolbox is such a pos when it comes to this.

It may be creating new configurations every time you change the custom properties, or the parts may be read only and the data isn't being saved.

Reply to
matt

SolidWorks would not allow me to do a talk on Toolbox. It would be ugly and sarcastic. I may have something about it in the spring, kind of an update of the stuff that has been getting dusty on my website. If you would like to come to Virginia Tech in the beautiful hills of south-western Virginia on December 7, I'm doing a user group presentation on Toolbox then. That will be fun...

Other fun presentations would be mold tools and smart fasteners

Reply to
matt

"matt"

LOL. Is there any improvement in 2007?

I may have something about it in the spring, kind of an

What about providing a live video feed for us at the bottom of the world?

John Layne

John Layne

Since we are on the subject of Toolbox. I also have a seat of Inventor. While generally I like SW many times better, the IV toolbox is considerably better. The IV Toolbox actually has engineering tools not just parts. For most parts there is a "data" sheet where variables can be set/ selected which help determine which size of perticular part that should be used. The "data sheets" are apparently based upon much of the Machinery Handbook and work similar to an Excel spread sheet, (ie. by chaning a vairables all of the appropriate boxes get updated). This is a great tool for design. It really does make the SW Toolbox look like a toy.

And the most interesting part is that the IV Toolbox is bundled free with IV 10 and above.....

Actually, the IV version of PDM Works, (ie. Vault) is also bundled free since IV 10 and above...

Come on SW! Lets get your act together!

EdT

Reply to
Ed

Autodesk bought Mechsoft a few years ago, pretty positive thats what Inventor uses as their Toolbox. It used to be available as a Plugin for SolidWorks and was, as I remember, a very useful and well written plugin.

Back in June I clicked the Mechsoft link, in the CD that came with SolidWorks for Dummies, when it was supposidly a Gold Partner. That link, funnily, went striaght to Autodesk Inventor --

. The Link was also on the SolidWorks Website, they've since removed the link.

Shame SolidWorks didn't buy them out instead of Autodesk. I do wonder how profitable some of the addins are for the companies writing them, I guess a lot of them just want to be bought out. (Hint to SolidWorks buy MitCalc before someone else does)

John Layne

John Layne