How to add folders to Toolbox?

Trying to figure out how to add parts and folders to Toolbox in SW2007. Coming from SW2006. What happened to 'Add my parts Wizard"?

If I go to 'Design Library' 'Toolbox" and RMB and 'New Folder', a new folder appears, but I can't name it. And if I open a part to add to the Libray, the new folder isn't in the 'Design Library Folder' in the browser. If I try to Delete the folder I just crteated, I get an error: 'Cannot delete file: Cannot read fromthe source file or disk'.

Then next time I open SW, the folder isn't there.

So how do I add new parts to the Toolbox?

Aaron R. Friedman ARF Designs

Reply to
Aaron

No reply....??? No Toolbox customizers out there? I would like to know if this is a bug, or specific to my install. I really need to add folders to Toolbox.

Aaron R. Friedman ARF Designs

Aar> Trying to figure out how to add parts and folders to Toolbox in SW2007.

Reply to
Aaron

The only way I've found to add parts is at the top of the design library there is an icon on the far left (looks like a book with green +) that is titled ADD TO LIBRARY. You have to have a file open that has the part or parts that you want to add. You can also add a FOLDER LOCATION that has all the parts already in that folder by using the 2nd icon from the left.

Well, the folder thing works, but it doesn't add it to the Toolbox. And inserting the part from 'Design Library' doesn't insert an individual part file from my Toolbox 'CopiedParts' folder. It Inserts the actual master part file. Not what I want.

Aaron R. Friedman ARF Designs

Reply to
Aaron

Ok, the Help often stinks, but in this case, they do have the rudimentary steps to add parts to the Toolbox library. The heading in the index is called "Toolbox Browser, add parts". What they call "groups" are what you are calling "folders".

Aside from that make sure that your location for Toolbox is not read only before adding folders, groups or parts.

Best of luck.

Reply to
matt

You can make a new folder by right clicking on the Toolbox heading in the Design Library and selecting "New Folder", and then it adds the folder and puts you into rename mode - rename it immediately. You can add subfolders by right clicking on the new folder. It all seems very straight forward and Windows-like.

Reply to
matt

Matt,

I can't get it to work.

If I right click anywhere in Toolbox Design Library to add a folder, it creates one but I can't name it. I can type it in but it doesn't stick. It just says 'New Folder'. And that New folder doesn't appear in the 'Add to Library' browser 'Design Library folder:' list. Then if I try to Delete that 'New Folder' from the Design Library, I get an error message saying, 'Error: The standard 'New Folder' can't be found in the master database.' But then it vanishes. If I don't delete it and close SW and reopen, it's not there.

Now I can add a folder and name it if I do it in the 'Design Library' section, but not in the 'Toolbox' section.

I take it that the file that is being modified for the Toolbox configuration and thus the Toolbox info that appears in the 'Design Library' is \Solidworks Data\lang\English\SWBrowser.mdb. That file is not set to read-only. However, if I check the properties of the 'English' folder and the folders above, they say 'read-only'. I go to turn off the read-only flag and it won't stick. It gets changed, but when I recheck it, it's back to read-only.

If I go to Help topic of 'Toolbox Broweser, add parts', it says, "Administrators can control who is allowed to add parts to a shared library. See User Access Control in Configure Data - Settings". I go there and all the 'Allow' boxes are checked.

As far as I see, it appears that all the Help info is about adding stuff(including folders) to the "Design Library' section of the 'Design Library Task Pane' not the 'Toolbox' section of the 'Design Library task Pane'.

Aaron

matt wrote:

Reply to
Aaron

Are you and Matt on the same version of SW? If not, that may be the problem.

Just a thought.

Reply to
Bruce Bretschneider

As I said, I'm on SW2007 SP4.0 Can any else add new folders to the Toolbox section of the Design Library and then add parts to it?

Aaron R. Friedman ARF Designs

Reply to
Aaron

Aaron,

Just as a suggestion, there are a million factors that could cause problems. Seeing that mine works the way it should, I'm guessing you have a local problem. If you want some help, why don't you give some of the details? Is this a local toolbox or network? Do you have other problems? Do you know for certain that the location where the files are supposed to go is write or read only? Do you have any sort of database driven application that's hung up? What happens if you replace your Toolbox database file? Anything wrong with your Hole Wizard? Have you done any tinkering that you aren't mentioning? Have you done anything to your install of SW recently? Are your temp directories full? Have you tried asking your reseller support people?

Reply to
matt

Matt,

I do appreciate any time and consideration you are giving to help me. I thought I was providing enough details of the issue. here are some more:

1) I am trying to get to my reseller support for help. it's a tricky situation. I have my seat of SW on loan from my corporate client. I am trying to get my client IT person to give me access to the reseller suport. Haven't heard back yet.

2) I would like to clarify that, indeed, you can a) create, b) rename folders anywhere within the Toolbox section of the Design Library and that you can c) indeed add custom part files to those custom folders. If you can do a,b,anc c, then, yes, I do have a particular local problem.

3) This is a stand alone installation on a non-networked WinXP Pro SP2 computer. I just installed SW2007 SP4 2 days ago. it was a fresh install, not an upgrade. i use the 'CopiedParts' option to Toolbox.

4) One other problem I had, was I couldn't get the Conversion Wizard to work. When i start the Conversion Wizard, I could see an instance of SW in the task manager. It would try to convert and I would see a second instance of SW start in Task manager, then i would receive an error of "Warning: Solidworks files have failed on conversion"... The Conversion wizard failed log gives me "not processed. Unable to execute SolidWorks." I then tried something. I renamed sldworks.exe in my SW2006 install folder, so my sytem couldn't find it, and retried the conversion wizard. Right before it opens, I get a flash of a MS Visual basic message box of a runtime error 'Automation error the system cannot find the file specified'. And SW does not start in the task manager. But the conversion wizrd starts. I run that and get the same error message and same log file message. But the MS Visual Basic error mesage is back, with a 'debug' button. I press that and a MS Visual Basic box opens with a short script with the highlighted line "Set swApp = CreateObject("SldWorks.Application")".

It appears that the SW2007 Conversionis trying to convert using SW2006 and it can't do it when it can find the .exe and it can't do it when it does.

5) "Do you know for certain that the location where the files are supposed to go is write or read only?" As I explained previously, the SWBrowser.mdb file is not read-only, but all folders above it are. In fact all folders on my machine are read-only and can't be changed. Apparently, this is normal according to MS. Are there other files I should check to see if they are read only?

6) "Do you have any sort of database driven application that's hung up?" Can you be more specific? I don't have any database programs on the machine. Nothing pops out in the task manager.

7) Right after I installed the SP4, I made a copy of SWBrowser.mdb in \Solidworks Data\lang\English\. I have replaced it with the original and still have the problem.

8) No problem with Hole Wizard.

9) No tinkering. Had the problem right after install.

Thanks,

Aaron

matt wrote:

Reply to
Aaron

Just got off the phone with my VAR. Turns out that this is a bug that started with SW2007SP4:

solidworks knowledge base solution id: S-015587 They have issued an SPR # 385920 No longer possible to add a new toolbox folder and assign it a name in the task pane

Aaron

Aar> Trying to figure out how to add parts and folders to Toolbox in SW2007.

Reply to
Aaron

I'm using 2008, so at least you know it is fixed there.

Reply to
matt