Toolbox Descriptions in a BOM

Hi all,

I have created a custom numbering system and bill of materials for my company. I have run into a problem, however, since none of our vendors know what the SW2006 Toolbox default part names mean. So when I insert a new fastener from the Toolbox, I assign a part number and description that are obvious to the vendors and to the rest of the engineers in the company. the problem comes up when I have the BOM in a drawing, the configuration name always shows up, not the custom properties I assigned. The only way I have found to bypass this is to rename the configuration. Once I do that, I have to re-insert all the fasteners since the toolbox "Can no longer find the part definition in the master part database"

Any help here would be great. Let me know if you need more information.

Thanks!

Reply to
bh325

in sw, from text menu, Toolbox>Browser Configuration>Browser>Custom Properties

Name - Description (add) Property Type - select both options (so you can have same size but different material) Default Value - leave blank, otherwise ... whatever Applies To - Select those you wish to have this property Value - leave blank, otherwise ... whatever

1 - When dropping a Toolbox part into assy and once you have the desired size, keep "edit toolbox definition" dialog box open and select add. Type in part number (displayed in bom). Description here is not required but suggested to fill in an appropriate value. Select ok.

2 - While still in "edit toolbox definition" dialog box, in upper portion of dialog box, find description property, fill in an appropriate value.

Done

kb

Reply to
kb

If you right click on the configuration, go to properties, there is a drop down in there selct "use file name" instead of "use configuration name".

Steve R

Reply to
Steve Reinisch

Reply to
AZGLI

works here. you realize this is a configuration specific property (description).

Reply to
kb