F*cking Toolbox!

Okay, am I just stupid or has anyone else run across this? Every assembly I have opened from SW2005 that contains fasteners is completely hosed when I open it in 2006. Every single component, be it a washer, a SHCS, a hex nut, whatever - when I open it in 2006 and point it to the location of the toolbox, it opens some fricking default fastener that is like 1.0" in diameter and destroys everything! There are no configurations available on the part, and there is no way for me to update them with the proper sizes. It looks like the only way around it is to re-insert all of the fasteners from scratch! HUH!? This seems a little retarded. Surely I am doing something wrong here!

BTW - while I am on the topic. What do other people do for toolbox parts? We use a revision control system, and every time a model is opened with the toolbox installed in a different location things break. Is it possible to copy the toolbox into a repository and update/reference it from there?

Thanks, Markus.

Reply to
Markus Wankus

Serenity now! I just found the SW2006 documentation on shared toolbox installation and Matt Lombard's toolbox guide. I guess I have some reading to do (and a lot of model fixes...)

M.

Markus Wankus wrote:

Reply to
Markus Wankus

Ah, yes, an attack of the dreaded Toolbox Virus. You have "huge screws", my friend.

You can actually fix this problem if you haven't saved the assembly. All you have to do is go through your Toolbox and create every configuration of every type of hardware used in your assembly, and then re-open the assembly. Now you'll have the configs your assembly needs when it opens up. Shouldn't take more than a few hours.

Or another way of fixing it is to find the Toolbox installation where the assembly came from and copy the old parts over your existing parts. Just hope that it wasn't created by several different people with their own installations of Toolbox (which, but the way, is the defatult installation), because there isn't a good way to merge existing TB parts with different sets of size configs.

Doing revisions with Toolbox? Ballsy. Good luck. Usually my recommendation is to get things out of TB first, and then start doing productive work. Even if the SW developers were evil and malicious (which I know they aren't), they couldn't come up with worse settings for TB than the default settings.

Anyway, best of luck,

matt

Reply to
m_lombard

Matt did have a pdf of some recommended practices with Toolbox on his website which might help, and then there was a lot of discussion in

2004-2005 on how to use Toolbox (or not) on this USENET group, which is searchable.

Bo

m_lombard@ver_z> >

Reply to
Bo

I went thru the toolbox issue a few months back before finally placing the toolbox on the server. Good to see that they are finally resolving this issue in 2007.

Reply to
SoCalMike

LOL. Yes, they were quite large. In fact they were *freakishly* huge in my comparatively puny assembly. ;o)

Yup - I figured this out. Thanks for the response. I ended up just inserting the configs I needed into a dummy assembly and then re-opening the original assembly and everything worked.

We don't really need to revision the toolbox. It is really just checked into the repository so that when people check out the tree of files, they have a shared copy of the toolbox as well without worrying about setting up a network share, etc. It seems to work so far. Hopefully it doesn't blow up in my face.

Thanks again, Markus.

Reply to
Markus Wankus

Let's hope they don't screw all of our SW2006 Toolbox-based models in the process...

M.

Reply to
Markus Wankus

Yup. After my knee stopped jerking and my pulse slowed a little, I found Matt's doc, as well as the doc on the SW website regarding shared Toolbox installs. It seems to work so far...

Thanks, M.

Bo wrote:

Reply to
Markus Wankus