Toolbox problem with different machines.

Hi,
When I move a large assembly from my work machine to my laptop and
open it all the fasteners change to the largest possible size. The
setup, version of SW (2004 sp2.1) and directory paths are identical.
All the parts with issues are from the Toolbox.

When I open the assembly I get a dialog box with the following message
"The following component configurations could not be found", and a
list of all the fasteners. I cannot replace any fasteners -- the
"Edit Toolbox Definition" is grayed out. I can add fasteners from
the toolbox on the laptop, and the file ->open -> show references
shows they have the same path as the ones that won't load.
SW Tech support thinks I have a path permission or access problem with
the Toolbox directory under the SW install directory -- I don't.
This works both ways -- assemblies created on the laptop are not
loadable on the desktop.
I have also looked at the "create copy" flag in the toolbox browser
options dialog box -- this doesn't seem to be what I want, and I would
have to keep changing the directory to keep copies in as I work on
different designs.

Any bright ideas ??
--
Regards,
Gavin Melville
Gavin Melville wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:
Reply to
matt
So, out of curiosity, what does one do when one buys a new machine? Are all of the fasteners added with Toolbox going to go bonkers? I guess I need to look into that copy parts option you referred to.
I just started using ToolBox for my fasteners, and had neve heard of this problem before.
jk
Reply to
John Kreutzberger
When I was doing the CAD Admin gig, I built my own library. It took about the same amount of time as getting Toolbox right and it was a lot lower maintenance. I gave up some things like Smart Fasteners, but gained a lot of peace of mind.
If you buy a new machine, you will need to bring your old library forward. If you just install from the CD and then get an assembly from someone else that doesn't contain the TB parts the other guy created with his assembly, you will quickly find out about this problem.
The most reliable way to use Toolbox is to avoid configurations, and go with the "copy parts" option. It gives each size a quirky but distinctly different file name, and you never get the wrong size. The worst that happens is that it will get suppressed. The way Toolbox installs by default is the absolute worst way you could do it if you were trying to play a bad prank on someone; installed locally using configurations with only the default config created.
If you get a SolidWorks assembly from someone else, make sure it has their toolbox parts with it.
matt
"John Kreutzberger" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:
Reply to
matt
John,
Short of networking your Toolbox data files, the best most foolproof way I've found is to save a copy of the fastener to the folder for the job you're working on. For instance, I use primarily socket head cap screws. After I insert the first SHCS, I open the SHCS file from the assembly and "Save As" to my working folder. All of the additional sizes (config's) will be added to this file. When I need to move it, take it home, save it to the network, it's not going to be looking for files strewn about or config's that don't exist on a certain machine.
HTH,
Malcontent
Reply to
Malcolm_Tempt
Thanks guys. I was slow the last month, and had been working on my personal library. I just completed what I call `the-mother-of-all-Hasco-inch' mold base and component libraries. It's awesome-if I do say so myself. My next project was going to be a personal fastener library like Matt mentioned, but I actually got some work!?! I decided to take a crack at using ToolBox. I had remembered hearing some complaints about this issue we are discussing, but couldn't remember exactly what the issue was. For a short-term solution, I will do what Malcom suggets.
I had spoken to my VAR about geting started with ToolBox, but they never mentioned this (glaring) limitation. Kinda surprising, because they are normally pretty good.
Thanks again.
jk