"networking" Toolbox question

Hello All,

I am a one man band (chief cook and bottle washer my father would say). I have used SW toolbox, as most of you have, with mixed emotions. I have just bought a laptop that I can run SW on and now have the problem of SW toolbox not ever being synced on either desktop or laptop. So..

I want to setup a network toolbox setup. I have read and reread Matt's very helpful writings, but I don't have a "server" but would like to make a common toolbox installation on my external HDD that is hooked to my desktop.

So when Matt says "Mapped drives are not recommended, you should use the UNC path name." how do I do the without a "server name"?

Also, any other tips, tricks or help would be VERY much appreciated.

I'm sure that there are other peeps in my situation that have long ago worked this out.

Thanks to all, and have a great weekend!

Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

Hi Muggs,

I'm a recovering one man band. (Joined with some friends/partners to make a "real" company, but that's another story.)

As the only ME, I don't have to worry about sharing files with co-workers, but I

*do* have to sync the "work" and "home" installations of SWX. I use a really, REALLY good utility named "Beyond Compare" to sync the work machine with a portable USB drive, which goes home to be sync'ed with the home machine. If I work at home, the process is reversed. The synchronization couldn't be simpler or faster. Aside from identical work files, my Toolbox is identical at both locations. There's another benefit: at any given time I have 3 copies of my recent work, 2 of them always at different locations. This is as much backup as I'll ever need.

Look at

for Beyond Compare. The license specifically allows use by one person on one or more computers.

Art Woodbury

Reply to
Art Woodbury

If your external drive is connected to your desktop and shows up there as "F:" , the UNC name for this drive would be \\DesktopName\F Folders on the external would look like \\DesktopName\F\Folder1

If you type these strings in Start->Run (on the laptop) and hit enter, it will show a directory listing of the contents.

hth Bill

Reply to
bill allemann

Muggs,

After you get through the transition from 2006 to 2007, you will have fewer problems, but getting over that hump may be a challenge. There are some things that have changed in 2007 which make it easier to recover lost configuration data, but only work if the assy is built with a 2007 library. They've done some things with filenames in 2007 that I haven't investigated yet.

An external drive on your desktop is treated just like a drive on a server. Bill A is steering you right. On 2007, though, things change because you don't have to edit the external file anymore, there is a place in Tools Options for the library location, and it gets stored in your registry, so it can be copied with Copy Settings Wizard instead of by copying the file if you duplicate settings between machines. Browsing to the toolbox through My Network Places is the equivalent to using the UNC.

The problem with mapped drives is that the path to the referenced part is stored in the assembly, so if another user opens the assembly, and has the same drive mapped as a different letter, you've got a problem. Also, UNC works even when no drives are mapped. Another potential issue is that if the assembly is opened on another machine on another network, its possible that they have toolbox on D:\ as well, but its less likely that they have another computer with the same name as your Toolbox server. Granted, that's a stretch, but there is no sense in tempting fate.

Reply to
mjlombard