working at home and toolbox woes

Hi all,

At work I have our common data on the server. When I take work home I brought a copy of our common data folder, recreated the directory structure and mapped a network drive to that folder using the same drive letter as the server drive at work. So technically the path is identical (but not the unc path).

In any case even though sw will see the common data folder ok, It still will always say - "could not find last active config...etc" and replace all of my 10-32 fasteners with land of the giants fasteners. And usually ghosting out the 'edit toolbox definition' box. How should I really be dealing with this?

Thanks,

Zander

Reply to
Zander

Hi Zander,

Did you also change the path to your new toolbox folder in the ini file: C:\Program Files\SolidWorks\Toolbox\Toolbox.ini ?

\/\/im

Reply to
\/\/im

Yep, it's pointed to the correct location of the common data folder. I tried to replicate the path to common data so it would be the same on both computers just so sw wouldn't complain about not being able to find things. But the missing config issue continues to crop up.

Reply to
Zander

You also copied the database (SWBrowser.mdb) with the toolbox parts? Normally under: ..\common data\lang\eng

Also a tip is to rename the original common data folder on your home computer, so SW can not find it.

\/\/im

Reply to
\/\/im

Hi, no I did not copy the mdb file, I will try this tomorrow. Thanks for the tip!!

Zander

Reply to
Zander

might as well copy the \toolbox parts\browser folder while you're at it. unless your toolbox parts at home have the same exact configs as work envinronment.

Reply to
kb

Zander,

It sounds like it's too late for you, but for anyone else who wants to use Toolbox and share data, you might consider using the "Copy Parts" setting. Foolbox (woops) is almost guaranteed to cause you to problems with the out- of-the-box settings, especially if you are sharing data with other people or machines.

I've got a couple things on Toolbox on my site, on the Rules of Thumb page. Not updated for 2005, but the same underlying problems exist.

matt

"Zander" wrote in news:1107266995.712969.208640 @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Reply to
matt

I hope it's not 'really' to late for me! I can change...

Zander

Reply to
Zander

Rotflmao!

Land of the giants fasteners! Dam funniest th> Hi all,

Reply to
clay

"Zander" wrote in news:1107308889.728979.325480 @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I guess I should have elaborated a little instead of just leaving you hanging.

If you start out using configurations, then switch to "copy parts", you will get copied parts with size specific names, but with other configurations in them as well. Plus, you would need to replace all your configured TB parts with the named ones. The only way to handle this is to get a fresh TB library, where none of the parts have any configurations (or I suppose you could go through and delete all the configs in existing parts).

You don't figure out that Toolbox configurations are evil until you've created a file management mess, which unfortunately is as easy as installing the software and using the out-of-the-box settings.

good luck,

matt

Reply to
matt