Multi-User install with Toolbox

I'm sure I've done this before but I just can't seem to get it to work. I just started working a t a place that has about 5 seats and is using individual local installs of Toolbox. I want to migrate them to a multi-user environment. Just to be sure, I even had my VAR send me instructions. Basically it tells you to do the following:

1) Find a shared spot on the server and put the TB data there. Set read only permissions on "browser" subfolder and contents. 2) Modify the TB .ini file on each work station to point to the shared spot. 3) Rename the original TB data folder on each work station so that the install can't find it. (It can be deleted after you are sure everything is okay.)

Pretty straight foward stuff but, once I do it and I fire up SolidWorks, I get the message "The data folder NONE/browser, which is required for Toolbox browser, does not exist."

Once started, and an assembly is open, there is no tab in the feature manager area for Toolbox. If I toggle it from the SW Office toolbar, I get the same message as at startup.

It seems that, somehow, the new path in the .ini file is not working correctly yet I've verified it several times. I've even used different methods of listing the path; with a mapped drive (z:\toolbox data\) and with a shared folder (\\servername\toolbox data\).

Any advice appreciated.

JJ

Reply to
JJ

Well, I figured it out. The answer seems to be that the .ini file is very picky about syntax.

By default it reads:

[Toolbox environment configuration file] Creation=8/23/2004 at 5:36:22 [configuration] ToolboxPartFolder=C:\program files\common files\solidworks data\

To make it easier to reverse changes, I commented the original destination before appending the new:

[Toolbox environment configuration file] Creation=8/23/2004 at 5:36:22 [configuration] [ToolboxPartFolder=C:\program files\common files\solidworks data\] ToolboxPartFolder=\\servername\sharename

It doesn't like this but it seems to be okay with:

[Toolbox environment configuration file] Creation=8/23/2004 at 5:36:22 [configuration] ToolboxPartFolder=\\servername\sharename

Or even:

[Toolbox environment configuration file] Creation=8/23/2004 at 5:36:22 [configuration] ToolboxPartFolder=\\servername\sharename [ToolboxPartFolder=C:\program files\common files\solidworks data\]

Strange, but I thought I'd passs it along.

JJ

Reply to
JJ