User settings

Ok, here is the layout.

Default settings stops Solidworks working. Custom settings stops Solidworks working.

Work around:- edit reg, blah, blah \solidworks\solidworks2008 to blah, blah \solidworks\solidworks2008 old

New profile works for around a week and then I have to repeat this procedure.

XP pro Solidworks office professional 2008, sp3.1 windows 2003 SBS sp2 server, all with the lastest updates , service packs etc....

Reply to
pfarnham

In what respect does it 'not work'.

Martin

Reply to
wurz

Hi Martin,

Various things stop working. As an example, inseting parts from a toolbox folder, works for a while then I get an error stating that the part is already opened and would i like to open the part read only, ?????

All the parts in that toolbox folder has been set to toolbox parts, confirmed by the toolbox icon in the feature tree

Toolbars changing each time I open a document.

Project open folder keeps change to my document folder, even though the folder is set in Pdmworks.

The list goes on!

Any ideas?

Reply to
pfarnham

Yes,

Perhaps you could join brother Banquer in his search for a clue. Don't claim the software's broken until you know how to use it.

Daisy.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
ChamberPot

Sounds like some of your Toolbox settings may not be right. Are you using a shared Toolbox or is it local to your machine?

I used to have a PDF that detailed exactly how to setup Toolbox, but I don't seem to be able to lay my hands on it right now. Maybe your VAR has a copy..?

We have a shared Toolbox here, and I always make sure that the following options are set;

in 'Toolbox > Configure > Settings', set 'Writing to Read-Only Documents' to 'Always change read-only status...' in 'Tools > Options > External References', set 'Don't prompt to save read-only.....' to checked.

Also, make sure that the Toolbox folder and it's sub-folders and files are set to read-only in Windows.

Martin

Reply to
wurz

I'd have a look on some of the other web forums aswell;

has a moderated Solidworks forum, and there is one at
aswell in the support area.

Martin

Reply to
wurz

ok, wiseone, explain what I am doing wrong when I save an assembly, close Solidworks down, open Solidworks and then that same assembly, and all the toolbars that I had showing are now gone?

Reply to
pfarnham

Might be a non-starter, but I wonder if you don't have local admin rights on that machine? Reason I ask is that most of the customisations (toolbars, macros....) are stored in the Windows registry.

Martin

Reply to
wurz