Toolbox Problem... or is it me?

"Ba Humbug",

I have a Main Assembly and a New Assembly (that will be a subassembly for the main assembly).

I am trying to simply add 4 PEM Studs to the New Assembly and "Drag & Drop" is not working...

SolidWorks (Message Box): Yellow Exclamation Triangle "A Document named "Flush Stud_PMI" is already opened. Do you want to show this already-opened document?"

Can I "Close" this "already-opened" document? Do I erase it from the Main Assembly Directory?

My practice has been that once an Assembly is in good working order. I find References and copy it to a nice spanking new directory so that only the parts in that directory belong in that directory - all the old unused previous design iteration parts are left behind - they are not needed in this new directory...

rant on I am so tired of this message I want to go to Boston with a few "friends" and "take care of this" personally. rant off

Why does this happen on the New Assembly, I can understand it happening on the Main Assembly (or at least it has never worked correctly so I put up with it), but this is insane!!!! The Toolbox should put a piece of hardware in an assembly, when and where I wish to put it - it is that simple.

Thanks for any insight and/or help...

Aron - "Scrooged" so far...

Reply to
Aron (bacsdesign.com)

Woops forgot... SW 2006, SP5.0

Reply to
Aron (bacsdesign.com)

I don't know about Toolbox in particular, but SW works on the premise that you can only open one copy of a file of a particular name, regardless of where they come from. I suspect it's a Windows function, but that's the way it is. So, once you have opened a file, whether it opens all the way up so you can edit the part, or you open it as part of an assy, either way you have that file open in memory, and you can't open another file of the same name until that one is closed.

If you keep getting that message, then my guess is that the assy is calling for one of that file already and it's loaded in memory that way. If it's the same file as you are trying to insert, and you need another config, then use the open file. If it's the wrong file, then you need to find that source and change it to the other one.

Now, how this all applies to your specific Toolbox issue, I don't know, but a bit of insight may help.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany