How to anchor assembly part w planes

Hi,

I thought I knew how to do this but, I guess not. What is the procedure for anchoring part(s) in an assembly, using various planes? For example, locking a part so that it can't move in the x-y direction. This would be exclusive of the positioning mates.

TIA,

Dennis

Reply to
Dennis

Mate the part planes or orthogonal faces to the assembly planes using coincident or distance mates.

Dennis wrote in news:103ih9c2s8f7c65 @corp.supernews.com:

Reply to
matt

There is a lot to be said for centering the parts around the origin, when you need to mate parts this way. Where I work, there are a lot of parts created inplace and used elsewhere. This means I am constantly creating refence planes to help align parts in the assembly.

Regards Tony O'Hara.

Reply to
Tony

you can still work incontext by starting a new part, saving it, insertint it into the assy, mating it and then designing incontext. It sounds like a lot but it beats all of those crazy positioned planes!

Reply to
3d

My problem was that the people who created the parts that are required to be used elsewhere, was that they designed top down and therefore inherited the origin of the assembly file. The method you described, is the way I do in context parts. I start by producing a disk in the orientation I want, insert into the assembly and modify in place. My part origin is then exactly where I want it.

Regards Tony O'Hara

Reply to
Tony