How do I move a part file contained in an assembly?

Hi, I need to move multiple part and assembly files that are contained in a single top-level assembly.

How do I do this with SW2005?

Thanks, Francis

Reply to
Francis

There are a number of tools.

  1. Use SWExplorer
  2. Use SaveAs for the top level assembly and then click on find references. You can tell individual components where to go from there.
  3. Open each part or sub assembly and perform a saveas operation on them.

One don't:

Don't use windows explorer.

Reply to
TOP

You can copy through files-> find refrences.

Reply to
milindmhase

"TOP" wrote in news:1134582479.755087.155340 @g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Don't forget the drawings.

Too bad Solidworks dosen't manage the associated drawing files.

(Inventor is better crafted for managing projects - especially multiple, on the go, projects.)

Boy! That's an over sight. Long overdue for a fix here Solidworks.

Don't use Windows Explorer. True - Very True. Unless you're adept at using Solidworks Explorer. (Sure you could open the assembly and then go find the file, But I dislike that method greatly as it dosen't change the internal references) Yuk, don't go there.

Solidworks records file location data of referenced files within the parent document. (It's visible using a text editor such as notepad - NOT reccomended - an accidental edit and or save will spoil the file. DANGER)

Using the "Save As" method seems to be the most effective way of changing the reference data stored in the model file (Assembly or drawing). I use it most frequently. Often for cloning a part model (to be used, slightly modified, elsewhere in the same assembly) and the already detailed drawing. Then a little tweek using Solidworks Explorer and I'm there.

See my response to "cutthroat trout" on Subject:"Question on Tools/Options/File Locations..." a bit further down.

sw

Reply to
SWalker